How to: Mounting Techniques for 4-strokes (100cc or higher)

GoldenMotor.com

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
Hi,

I would like to start this thread to bring together all the ways to mount a 4-stroke (100cc or higher).

I put a lot of time and effort into my project and I think it works great, but others may have better ways to mount an engine.

So here is my mounting technique (pictures are showing concept, bike was still in development):

carpespasm

May 13, 2011
NE Florida
I'm not sure about this engine, but generally horizontal shaft motors of this style are best mounted as stiffly as possible and that's what most seasoned members say to do for bike motors anyway.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I'm not sure about this engine, but generally horizontal shaft motors of this style are best mounted as stiffly as possible and that's what most seasoned members say to do for bike motors anyway.
that's correct, and that's because the vibrations have to go somewhere. if we rubber mount, the vibrations don't go to the frame so they feel dampened, this is a good thing right?

initially yes. but now think about where the vibrations end up instead. they tend to go to the studs, so eventually it will strip out the stud and then your mounting is in serious trouble.

and that's why rubber mounting is a bad idea.

of course this idea is based around the chinese 2 stroke inframe motors,not sure how it applies to 4 strokes, since i have no experience with them and don't intend to build one atm, so i have no reason to look into them.