JB Weld on mounts

GoldenMotor.com

roman415

May 15, 2008
Hello,

I have my 70cc motor mounted on a mountain bike. The bottom frame was too thick to use the stock motor mount, I had to use the long bolt and plate that came with Dax kit. It worked good, but I ended up losing one of the bolts that attach the plate to the original mount point (I replaced original long studs with bolts) even with lock tite after about an hour long ride.

My questions is, has anybody tried JB Weld to secure their mounts. I was thinking of just cold welding the plate to the original mount point.

Thanks in advance,
Roman

roman415

May 15, 2008
Maybe this will help. Sorry i am at work at the moment, all I could do in a short amount of time

Just to fuse the plate to the bottom mount, and maybe put a bead on each bolt. (I heard you can use soldering gun to melt them off if needed later)

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
OH I gotcha - there must be a fundamental reason why Loctite didn't work. What type of Loctite? How old is it?

I don't see bonding those areas helping all that much but on the heads may help a bit.

roman415

May 15, 2008
I used locktite blue (med strength).

Thanks for your responses. I guess I will try again with locktite. And maybe use a better lock washer (was using regular spring lock washers).

Cheers

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I have done at least 300 builds and ....

and thousands and thousands of miles. I have never ever had to use loctight. Ever.. If you need to use loc tight, you are doing something wrong. Loc Tight will void any warranty. Loc tight will ruin your engine. Never use loc tight on these little motors. Loc tight has its place in the world. But it has no place anywhere on these little motors. Enjoy the ride...

roman415

May 15, 2008
I dont really see how locktite will "ruin your engine"... It may seize the bolt in place, but thats hardly a ruined engine.

A lot of people on this forum seem to use it.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Re: I have done at least 300 builds and ....

and thousands and thousands of miles. I have never ever had to use loctight. Ever.. If you need to use loc tight, you are doing something wrong. Loc Tight will void any warranty. Loc tight will ruin your engine. Never use loc tight on these little motors. Loc tight has its place in the world. But it has no place anywhere on these little motors. Enjoy the ride...
Why would loctite ruin your engine when applied to the threads of a bolt, and why would it void your warranty.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just to be on the safe side, do not use loctite products on your dax engine until after the thirty day warranty period. If at that point the nuts are still loosening then use your favorite loctite products. Use the appropriate one for you specific aplication, your results may vary.

For the best loctite for permanent applications, use loctite sleeve retainer.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have used jb weld on the threads of bolts (not on this engine though) I can break the nut loose with some heavy duty torquing not sure it would vibrate loose at least I never had one do it. It is a mother to clean off though.

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
I would't use loctite on the engine but would consider it on all the bike fastners like fenders, petals, chain guard etc. Also consider lock washers along with all the bike fastners. Any of these can come loose a cause you some major hurt at 25 MPH.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I agree, no loctite. Instead drill each bolt head to accept safety wire ;-)

I'm a big fan of loctite and JB weld but not for the application the original poster asked about. Better grade hardware for the mounting bolts would serve the OP better.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If not for locktite, my kickstand would have been down the road miles ago.

Yeah there was a lockwasher on it.

The muffler cap I just brazed on - laff

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Best place I found that really needs Locktite is the large screw holding the small gear on. It's threaded so that it will un-thread if given half a chance and the vibration doesn't help. Because it's tapered you can't use a lock washer.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"I have never ever had to use loctight. Ever.. If you need to use loc tight, you are doing something wrong."

I agree !
Amen.
Loctite, JB-Weld, and all the rest of the band-aids are good for only one thing. Short cuts when you don't know how or don't take the time to do it right.
If it's a roadside emergency repair and you're going to fix it right when you get home then glue might be the way to get you out of a jamb but relying on those types of products to keep your bike together, especially engine fasteners, tells me you aren't doing something right. I don't use thread locking compounds or epoxy glues on my bikes and they seem to stay together just fine. And I don't care about warranties.
Tom