well screw my crappy 2 stroke moped!!

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
if you remember my post about that moped,,, it runs great and is very reliable, but its to slow and underpowered, it does 25kph on the flats and wont go up any hills, so i am getting a 4 stroke bike engine kit!! there selling them half an hour away from my house, for $230!
Motor Boys

im going to get one, i have a few questions though, how would that engine compair to my 80cc(66cc) 2 stroke engine, my basic knowledge would say that a 49cc 4 stroke would have much much less power than the 66cc 2 stroke? how fast would that 4 stroke engine be? is it reliable? ive heard bad things about the gearboxes, will i be ok? thanks,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Looks like a Huasheng and Hoot GB. The engine is OK but the GB is bad news unless they have made some improvements.

whats the main problem with the gearbox? stripping teeth? bearings??

why do they sell them if they break real quick? everyone says the gearboxes are junk but what makes them that way(china!!)

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes...............

Mostly it is the poor metallurgy. Some parts are too soft and deform and some are too brittle and crack. It really is too bad because the basic design is actually pretty nice.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Yes...............

Mostly it is the poor metallurgy. Some parts are too soft and deform and some are too brittle and crack. It really is too bad because the basic design is actually pretty nice.
so no cure? is it a waste of 230 bucks? cant i keep it lubricated and make it last? nothings salvageable?

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
With free shipping!! I will sell you any part of any kit for those prices, and offer free shipping.
all i know is he is very close, and i had a 2 stroke ht and although it lasted along time i just dont like the loud 2 stroke buzz and the clutch, i think im going to get that 4 stroke, i will ride it for a looooong time in the first month, if it breaks i will return it and get a refund,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
You can try but I would check out Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits!, for just a little more money you can get a much better set up. There are also other GB option out there, EZ and Firebelly just to name a few.
but that kit is twice the price and needs to be shipped, i need something to be riding by monday to get to work, isnt there any way to maintain the gearbox? why would they sell them if they break after 50 miles? cant i buy a replacment gearbox and let it ship and just use the hoot one until i get the new gearbox? does anyone have a link to an afordable gearbox replacment?

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You could go ahead with this kit and change the gear box after it fails. I did the same thing with one of my kits. I ordered the gear box from gasbike.net. However, don't be surprised when this gear box fails very quickly. You have been warned.

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Sorry, I am talking about the hoot gear box that comes with kit failing quickly, not the replacement from bicycle-engines.com.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
thanks for the warning, it has a 30 day warenty and the vendor is 45 minutes away, i can put on 100kms a day if i try, so i think i will ride the heck out of it in the first month and if the gearbox doesnt blow by then than its good, im looking into a replacement gearbox, thanks for the link,
:-||

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
and your sure that the engine kit on that site has a hoot? its hard to tell from the pictures, isnt there a gen one and gen 2 hoot? the latter being better? i cant see the vendor doing very well if all the gearboxes break so soon, he said he has sold alot and no returns so far,

i sent bicycle-engines.com an email, how much did a replacement gearbox cost you?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would triple check his return policy, and let him know you live 45 minutes away and will be back if it fails.

Then see what happens.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Good luck, keep us posted as to how it goes. You may find the golden gear box that will last awhile.
yes i do hope so! i had good luck with my 80cc ht, i hope the same with this 4 stroke, its because its cheap and he is so close, has anyone hear drove an engine like that? what is the power like compaired to a 66cc HT? im looking for hill power as i need to climb a friggen mountain daily!

also i looked at how it mounts, would it mount to my bike? my bike has a large down tube and i had to use the large frame adapter on my HT,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I would triple check his return policy, and let him know you live 45 minutes away and will be back if it fails.

Then see what happens.
thanks, i just did, he also ships, maybe he will be a good vendor? i will let you guys know how it turns out, i usualy have bad luck though, with this drivetest strike and me spending all my money on that stupidly slow moped, and i still end up with no transportation!, i just really hope this engine kit works out for me!

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
As to your question of how we can tell it is a hoot, it only cost $230 for the kit and you can't see the gearbox in the picture. If it were any other gearbox, it would be in the picture and cost much more. I would still buy the kit, if it were me, and plan on changing the gearbox. I bought what I think is the exact same kit from another site. The engine has been great.