Ultra-fast charging batteries that can be 70% recharged in just two minutes

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Ultra-fast charging batteries that can be 70% recharged in just two minutes

If this is true, it is the the grail of grails and really exciting. Safe(r?) to dispose of, long lasting and quick to charge batteries.

"this breakthrough has a wide-ranging impact on many industries, especially for electric vehicles which are currently inhibited by long recharge times of over 4 hours and the limited lifespan of batteries"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...geek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Kinda cool but 2 mins to 70%. I'm wondering what it takes to push em full....that may be unreasonable and then there's the cost of the latest and greatest. We shall see

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh so exactly, Racie. I agree.

Even if half true, and having trouble wrapping my head around it, a great, great advance.

Time will tell, me thinks. I have been looking for debunk articles but nothing so far.

No bout-a-doubt it, a game changer. If even partially true.

Just seems to simple. But all the great advances are.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I know my plane stuff has nano technology on the lipos but these guys are claiming a different nano I think. If you vote for me as president though...I assure you every nano in this country will be the same....no more trickery

Jayls5

Oct 28, 2014
Virginia
For any size other than a tiny battery, it's just not going to happen.

I could entertain you with the math, but the punchline is charger and power grid infrastructure would need to be overhauled.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
With a 10,000 charges before a drop off in max power, how can you go wrong but with the name of Titanium dioxide nanotubes...it just sounds Expensive!!!

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
My 12 ampere hour batteries can provide 12 amps for one hour. 70% of 12 ah is 8.4 ah.

To charge 8.4 ah into them in two minutes would require pushing 252 amps through the batteries.

Since the batteries total 36 volts, 9,072 watts is required. That is twice the power used by an electric range. Most home wiring would be inadequate for the power needed to charge my batteries, assuming they could be charged to 70% capacity in 2 minutes. The wiring gauge, circuit breakers, etc. is just too small.

The heat load put into the batteries and rejected by them to the surroundings is substantial. Liquid cooling would be needed.

So, ahhh, it's easy to say things, doing them can be more difficult.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool. Thanks all. I really don't know or understand the difficulties and speed bumps involved with this.

Does seem like a great step forward for Batt. Tech.