currie cruiser help

GoldenMotor.com

bikeclamper

Sep 13, 2014
Pa..
Hello!i have an older Currie E-Cruiser step through Electric Bicycle.it is run by a 24 Volt Battery pack.i refurbished the Bike over time.does anyone know about upgrading the Motor for more power and better climbing.it goes on flat road pretty good ,but going up Hills a little sluggish......Thanks anyone

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
This is done to these bikes a lot. I believe you motor is brushed. Its an easy thing to over volt it to 36v with just a controller and battery pack change( or add an additional battery if SLA). Some more info on the bikes system would be helpful.

bikeclamper

Sep 13, 2014
Pa..
Hi!Cannonball2 Thank you for feedback(appreciated)!the original engine could not be repaired(brushed).so a motor repair guy got me another one(Electro Drive)which he said is 400 watts.im not sure what the Original motor was rated,will anyway he kept motor and would'nt give it back so i am not sure if he had a way to rebuild it and it had more snuff?so i am running the Electro Drive .does it make a difference with the gears on bike?Okay Thanks

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Not sure what you mean gears. In the drive itself or the bikes multispeed? I know little about the Curries, seems the most common are the rear mounted side motor. Regardless if the bike is operational now you should be able to up the voltage a step. Its very possible your existing controller could be used but the low voltage cut(LVC) would be too low. If you added a small voltmeter and cut operation around 32v that would work too. Do you know where the controller is? Some specs from it would be helpful. Amperage especially.
Most 24v systems limit the amperage to around 17amps. At 36v your 400wt motor will produce a little over 600wt. Not a bad jump.