Clutch problems?

GoldenMotor.com

mrblack98

Oct 30, 2012
north carolina
Alright, I've posted once about my clutch being difficult to pull and not wanting to reengage without help from my hand while riding, dangerous I know. And I've noticed a squealing coming from possibly around that area. Do I need to tighten/loosen a clutch screw or grease something? Suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: Also my clutch arm is not parallel with the output gear it goes out beyond the whole engine. On other peoples builds it doesn't go past being parallel with the output, or is it just different depending on the kit?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Try some grease on the clutch actuating cam (where the lever goes in the case and pushes on the "bucking bar").

Also, pop off the other cover and see if the flower nut is rubbing on the cover.

mrblack98

Oct 30, 2012
north carolina
Since I last posted I have, tightened the clutch plate, oiled the gears and chains. There is still a noise! When I had it parked and idling I still heard the noise but it was much quieter. I don't know why I did it, but I pressed on the clutch cover and the noise went completely away! ZERO noise, just the thump of the engine. I realized that I had no gasket on my clutch cover, so I installed one. Now I'm about to fire it up and figure out if thats the fix!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Since I last posted I have, tightened the clutch plate, oiled the gears and chains. There is still a noise! When I had it parked and idling I still heard the noise but it was much quieter. I don't know why I did it, but I pressed on the clutch cover and the noise went completely away! ZERO noise, just the thump of the engine. I realized that I had no gasket on my clutch cover, so I installed one. Now I'm about to fire it up and figure out if thats the fix!
People have used all types of sound deadening material inside the right side cover to help reduce the inherent clutch noise. Rubber, truck bed liner, mouse pads glued to the outside, tool handle 'Dip' and other stuff. Some of it works, some doesn't. There will always be some resonance through that cast aluminum cover. It's just the nature of the beast. Experiment and see what works best for you.

As far as the clutch actuator arm; you can reindex it on the splined shaft. Mark where it is now before removing it to give you some idea of how far to move it. You'll need to loosen the little chrome acorn nut and gently tap on it while prying up on the arm. It will pop off and you can set it anywhere you want it. You'll of course have to readjust your clutch cable but moving the arm inward will keep you from getting your pant leg stuck on it and....it'll look like everyone elses. Use care and don't damage the threads when tapping the shaft out. If you don't want to mar up the acorn nut use a standard hex nut so you don't screw up the threads. I think it is a 6mm X 1 thread.

Good luck.

Tom

Last edited: