Broken Mounting studs

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If your studs look like this (see photo) you are tightening way too much my friend. You can also see this if your tube is wider then the studs.

Bottom line is if your studs look like this...something is wrong and your most likely gonna have broken studs over and over like this guy.

Another cause for broken studs is mounting. If you dont have your motor mounted properly you can keep breaking studs over and over.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
OMG...Just a little mechaincal common sense, please?
Dave, I've seen those kinds of things before. The same goes for intake and exhaust flange fasteners. The welds on a lot of them will not allow the fasteners to lay flush so they get bent, like your photo, then the guy wonders why he keeps breaking fasteners.
Tom

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
How would you think that doing that was a good idea. How are you supposed to get the motor off for service WITHOUT breaking them. People really dont think do they. I have to constantly tell people how to not start an electrical fire in their house cause they want to do it "their way". Darwin we need your help!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's another reason for broken fasteners.
The weld beads on this intake are too big which keeps the nuts/washers from laying flush.
Too much tightening on these will bend and stress the studs.
Grind the weld and/or use Allen head cap screws so the fastener will lay flush when tightened.
Tom

Attachments

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Ouch, Dave, that is a nasty pic, why didn't the guy use some of the washers in his megastack UNDER the mounting plate?

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
those 6mm studs are too small anyway I replaced mine with 5/16-18 studs
as they will shear even if mounted to a shift kit plate thats perfectly flat.
mine sheared at the death race and couldn't finish the second heat or get into the main for the third race in a row. I've had it with the china motor gonna try a morini hope it holds together !!! or my racing days are over cause I'll be to broke to replace it!!!!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yesterday I helped a guy out who kept breaking his right front stud. The cause was he removed his tensioner and had his chain so tight it was twisting the motor causing the front stud to snap off.

Running your chain to tight even with the tensioner can cause this same problem.

1/2"-3/4" slack in the chain is what I like and always keep all my chains at.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
How do you replace the studs if they break? Also, if the studs rest on the tube because it is to large, how does one mount to it at that point? I can't find much on it maybe I'm just not understanding it though

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
It hasn't broken but it was something I was curious about because They don't looke like they are easily removed.. How would one twist it out like a regular bolt? I have steel stud replacements already from SBP, just don't know how to install them.

Thanks for the link, I had glanced through that thread but it looked like home fabrications which I don't have the tools for, but I look through more detailed. Especially SBP's adapter.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Double nut the stud, tighten the 2 nuts snug tight against each other, and turn the inner nut outwards to remove the stud.

If both nuts still want to turn and the stud does not, tighten the nuts against each other a little tighter and try removing the stud again.

Last edited: