6V batt& charger $19

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Harbor freight has a 2 head emergency lighting system for $19 + shipping.
I used the battery and 1 bulb and socket(mounted in another fixture) for my bike. The charging board, test sw and second e-light fixture were mounted in and on a PVC box.
The test sw and 2nd light are used to verify that the battery is connected and charging.
A similar battery would cost aprox $15 at Lowes or H-depot.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's what I've used on 4 bikes. Mine came from old outdated emergency light fixtures which were outlawed by the local fire department. They were 70s vintage with metal housings and small sealed beam lamps. I threw away the charging circuits, test switch and battery housings and used just the lamp housing. I use 6 volt SLA batteries and I charge with a small battery charger from Grainger. The old style used 35 watt lamps; plenty of light for a bike and one of them was a 55 watt monster that lights up the road like a motorcycle. Replacement sealed beams are still available, now called 'tractor lamps' and used on lawn and garden tractors.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I can't remember how many of those older systems I've thrown out in the past. I primarly run LED but keep an incandesant onboard for bad weather. The new systems have worked out well for me(I double up on the 4AH 6v batt in parallel)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Im using a 18v cordless drill battery and a 12 led emergency car light for head light and 2 12 tail light bulbs(hook in series) in a red dome housing for tailight. I have 1hr quick charger to charge battery. battery is 2years old and works like new. I only have to charge the battery like once every 2 weeks. Head light and tail light are very very bright and can be seen atleast 1,000 feet away.
So i running 18 volts into the 12 volt head light and 9volts into each of the 2 12v tail light bulbs.

Led headlight was $5 at walmart and dome tailight was $6 at napa.
Battery and charger $45 at walmart,they came with a cordless hedge trimmer actually but its the same as a cordless drill.

Attachments

Last edited: