"Vintage" CDI

GoldenMotor.com

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello!
40 min ago I started to make my vintage looking CDI by covering it in leather, glueing it to the CDI with Shellack (stuff used to cover marks from branches in wood before you paint it).

Here is one pic from the progress, I have glued the leather to the CDI with Shellack and then painted over the leather with the same stuff, it will make the leather darker but very glossy. The other pic shows the leather before covered in Shellack:

Attachments

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Here is the finished "Vintage" CDI!
Ask for "Shellack" in paint/hardware store. Mine was an alcohol/shellack mix, ready to use. Shellack was the material for making old records way back, it has also been used as an main ingredient in ol' car paint etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Caramanos2000

Aug 14, 2009
Puerto Rico
Thanks for the headsup, looks great. One question man, did you replace the cdi wire or did you keep the stock? Im asking because im guessing after doing this replacing it will be impossible.

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I removed the spark plug wire when doing this procedure (screw it anti clock wise). When done, I threw the chineese and screwed in a better one from the auto shop, there was no problem to get it in place even though some leather was reaching down into the spark plug hole!

Good luck!(^)

Note: I used pretty thin leather!