New Em3ev 50v Electric Bicycle Battery

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What question?
20R batteries.

The 3 triangle packs and chargers I have coming are:
50V 18.5Ah Samsung Triangle Pack (17.5Ah & 25Ah Option)
14S9PSDITRI
$645.00
$1,935.00

- Bag: Including Bag

- Cell Type: ICR18650-22P (18.5Ah, 925Whr)

I think the R on those cells is only like 8 however.
Wimpy for you needs I guess but I'm not building 5KW e-bikes either.
Heck, the motor I use will take 1860W and the Kelley controller can take it, and since all of my electrics have shifting gears I don't expect any of the next 3 bikes I build with that triangle battery pack will be the least bit wimpy ;-}

We'll know soon enough, this bike is just awaiting the battery packs and chargers.

To me it all comes down to what my work time is worth vs. how much I value my relaxation time.

Working on MB's is way past being a hobby for me, it's work and my main hobby now is getting parallel on the couch with the 65" HD TV on and snacks in front of me.
The older I get, the more the scale shifts that way.

I have the skills to make my own packs with a nice BMS and everything, but like my own CDI's it is tedious long hour work I just don't want to do anymore.

I love what I do now, fit people to the right bike for their needs and budget and have a full time big strong mechanic trained well enough to handle all the basic stuff with just a little help from me, and then just be a helper for my really custom stuff I do myself.

All I can say is, I have beat my old body some much for so long I can't take another spill and that little part of my brain that has judgment jumps me to the robot on 'Lost in Space' flailing his arms arms saying 'Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" every time I ride now.

Thankfully I only build build safe machines and do love the rides, but it's a hard feeling to shake when you have been hurt really bad twice on one.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Batteries and chargers made it here yesterday.
It just barley fits, but it does fit in that tight frame ;-}
We'll get to it Monday.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Great stuff. Thanks for carrying this off and carrying the weight on this one. You are the MAN!!
Thanks Paul, it came out OK I think ;-}

I am just waiting for the paint to dry for the motors chain guard and I still need to do something with the front hydraulic brake line and a couple other touch-ups, but otherwise she's done and a blast to ride ;-}

Notes:
Some 3/4" slit black plastic wire harness is you friend as is really long zip ties to bundle up all the wires.

SBP Paul, the left side sealed bearing cartridge holder needs to be much longer, it took 2 on this build to make it sturdy.

EM3ev Paul, nice battery pack, it seems to be doing the job great so far in our limited test today, it's just the battery output and bag could use some improvements.

It took some careful cutting of Velcro straps and wire soldering to get to where the bike sits now, and the zipper on the corner of the bag was a nightmare.

BUT... overall a killer combination of parts to adapt with other parts into a pretty slick machine ;-}

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
SBP Paul, the left side sealed bearing cartridge holder needs to be much longer, it took 2 on this build to make it sturdy.
Can you send some pictures of this? I'm not getting a good mental image. Thanks!

Looks streamlined, minimalist and quick. Awesome!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Can you send some pictures of this? I'm not getting a good mental image. Thanks!

Looks streamlined, minimalist and quick. Awesome!
Thanks Paul, and ya she rocks, a frigg'n wheelie machine in 1st and 2nd gears.
zpt

I was addressing the sealed bearing cartridge removable left side threaded end.
The BB hole is ~70mm.
By securing the right side plate with the main bearing there was not enough left of the left side to secure the left plate and support the bearing so I had to use two of them.

If that left side cartridge part was 20mm longer it work regardless of the BB hole size I think.

No biggie, the BB threaded cup had enough threads for both, I would just prefer it being one piece is all.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks guys ;-}

I have 2 more of those battery packs and ordered another 48V SBP electric shifter kit.
I haven't picked a bike yet and may hold off a bit and do something with this 86cc 4-stroke 4-speed engine I bought, perhaps putting it on this $2K soft tail frame.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Seems like the better battery technology is what's driving the interest in electric bikes.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Not just the batteries themselves, it's the BMS in the packs, chargers, controller, and motors that keep advancing.

It is still a balancing act of many factors but the end result is the same, electrics can rival gas in price now with so many more benefits that go way beyond performance.

For real life examples:

An E-bike can be laid flat in your trunk or even turned upside down if you want.

No fossil fuel also means you can park it your kitchen or bedroom, or even sleep with the thing if you are so inclined.

I like 'em, nuff said ;-}

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Not just the batteries themselves, it's the BMS in the packs, chargers, controller, and motors that keep advancing.

It is still a balancing act of many factors but the end result is the same, electrics can rival gas in price now with so many more benefits that go way beyond performance.

For real life examples:

An E-bike can be laid flat in your trunk or even turned upside down if you want.

No fossil fuel also means you can park it your kitchen or bedroom, or even sleep with the thing if you are so inclined.

I like 'em, nuff said ;-}
And also you can take them on commuter trains, and ride them on bike trails.