Cheap and Easy Bicycle Bike trailer

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Been catching it from my friends at the R/C club about not bringing anything to fly when I ride the MB. Started looking at trailers, big $$$ for a single tracker which is what I wanted. Wanted a single tracker to keep the motorists happy as its no wider than the bike. When a car approaches I hug the white line. They apperciate this and I have never had a run in. Figured a 2 wheel too wide. Any way read about trailers and it seems the seat post mount is preferred from an engineering stand point, but its impossible with the rear mount engine. I am sure this has been done before, but this is what I came up with. The frame is all bike parts except for the square section tube on the steering head. The box folds or removes for a flatbed if necessary. Pulled 2 concrete blocks on a 10 mi roundabout and never knew it was there except for some slight feed back on rough spots. Am sure its not optimum, but it works for me.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
BEN-SUR

Cheap and easy??

Absolutely!! Thanks for sharing. I don`t see the invisible blocks ?? No wonder you never noticed them!

How about close-up pic`s of the two pivot points. Our friend may like this also.

Lengthen it out a tad bit, add a motor, switch to a rear wheel, use bb for jackshaft mount and you have invented the pusher/trailer combo! I told U your kool !

___________.trk __________.duh. _________laff

Ronald

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks NT! Heres the hitch detail. The trailer rides in the cut off 5/16 gr8 bolt. The hitches are 3/16 plate drilled as necessary and bolted under the axle and to one of the threaded bosses on the frame. It does mean the hitches have to be removed to get the rear wheel off( only 2 small allen bolts as the axle nuts are coming off any way). This way the hitches are rock solid which might be questionable if they were slotted to allow the wheel to drop out. To hitch up you just silde the forks over the bolts, put the hitch retainer plates over the bolts and tighten the retainer nut. Am waiting on a set of nyloc wing nuts to make hitching tooless. This is a very solid, slop free connection.

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Actually I saw a trailer made that could carry ? 150 lbs and the guy said it was about $100.00, but your design looks real good.

I always am scrounging parts from the dumpster that I think I would possibly use to build stuff, so thanks!

The last things I got were stainless steel pool handles and a few rungs of the ladder that was being replaced. The world of throw away and buy new, boggles my mind. It was just the rungs that had broken. I am going to use part of the rungs to make foot rest over the top my foot pegs for a little more surface area and comfort when I get my dirt bike finished.

Measure Twice

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the comments guys! My mother inlaw who is retired, as a hobby gets up early ahead of the trash collectors in Atlanta in the nicer areas. You would not believe what is thrown away. She gives us new clothes with the tags still on, all manner of usable stuff, even gave us a high$$$ ceiling fan NIB, its amazing. Ive been known to dumpster dive myself, nothing wrong with "re-pourpsing" things!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I made a similar, single track trailer from one of those razor scooters. I wanted to use it to haul my 5 gallon gas can to the station for refilling. It wasn't stable with more than 3 gallons in the can.
Your trailer looks far more stable and well built.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks wheelbender6. Just hate to throw useable stuff away and thats where the bike frame was going. Fortunately it was still around when the need for a trailer arose. It had been sitting in my work area upside down for days on its seat and handlebars, thats when it all clicked into place.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I(hahaha) found a new use for my trailer. My wifes Chinese Crested was due for his yearly shots. It was left to me to take him. I normally ride either an MB or motorcycle. This meant getting out my 72VW. I had just cleaned it. That little sucker Crested would lick up all the windows before I got out of the drive way. Then it dawned one me, I have two of those boxes like on the trailer. I hitched up, put one box on top of the other and cable tied one side, put him in and cable tied the other, stuck two ties in my pocket for the return trip. This dog loves to ride, and he had plenty of holes for air and to see out of. I taught him to howl when I yip a certain way. Every time we hit a traffic light or people walking, I would set him off, should have seen the folks tryin to figure out what was goin on. I about wet my pants laughing. Best trip I have ever had to the vet!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's great. I can picture the whole scene... perfect. Dogs rule! Most mof the time when I ride I have the kiddie trailer behind for Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog. Last summer I got a nice instep trailer still in the box at a garage sale and when we went to set it up this summer discovered that mice had moved in and eaten a hole through the mesh screen. Just about head sized... so as we cruise along she has her head stuck out through the screen and when she's excited smiles. You should see the looks we get... an old long haired Indian circus bear on the seat wearing goggles and a grinning dog behind.
I've not yet figured out how to charge admission. It really is wonderful seeing people smile and momentarily forget all their troubles. We are ambassadors of fun.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Cool silverbear!! That has inspired me. I measured Bob the Crestie. It looks like if I hole saw a 3.5" hole a third of the way from the front the Bob will be able to get his head out for the ride. Hes so ugly he is kinda cute, got to look weird with his head hair(about all he has) blowin in the wind. Think I have found a whole nother entertainment factor for my MB. For whatever reason people seem to like Cresties, guess they feel sorry for something so ugly!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bob will love his new life as an entertainer. I built a sidecar out of a canoe for Aaniimoosh to ride in style last summer, but we haven't really been using it yet. Fasteddy has designed a stronger frame and mounts so later in the summer she'll be in the sidecar, grinning at passersby. I haven't done it yet, but want to make her a little leather helmet with openings for her ears and stitching in old swimming goggles. Now she be stylin in her black leather doggles... she cool. Oh yea... woof from Moosh and a Woohoo from Silverbear. You go, Bob D. Dog! Give that dog a bone...
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
hmm, I have a mountain bike carcass laying around that would be perfect for something like this.
Thats what this one was, a straight tube version. Just about any bike with a straight tube will do. It was a 26" frame but I used a 24" wheel to drop the trailer lower. Am going to try a 20" wheel I have. If its workable, it will allow the use of a moped tire which is super heavy duty.