Help me make a 5 ah 74v Nano Battery

GoldenMotor.com

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
For the heavy bomber I would use a minimum of 10ah pack. That 5ah will work, but will stress the controller out with the ripple current. 30-40C cells will be more than enough. There is no point of spending more money on cells that are overrated and won't be able to see a difference in performance on your bike.
I think cycle life is real important because we ride all year, almost every day.

Rc lipo cycle life is the lowest of all li ion cells and is not very reliable for everyday ev use.

Great for putting on the show at the race track but for everyday use not much of a bargain really.

Serious racers use A123 ?

http://www.killacycle.com/about/

Last edited:

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I use A123's in my EVG bike, which I rode into work this morning. Those cells are really old and still going(2007). Best thing to use in 32F weather.
My other bikes use lipo and those batteries are two years old and still going strong. It's all about battery management for gaining more life cycles out of lipo.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
I use A123's in my EVG bike, which I rode into work this morning. Those cells are really old and still going(2007). Best thing to use in 32F weather.
My other bikes use lipo and those batteries are two years old and still going strong. It's all about battery management for gaining more life cycles out of lipo.
I am still using A123m1 60 C cells from 2006 and they are still going strong so I know high power batteries can last a long time. :)

They were taken from Dewalt packs and soldered together and made into rc packs.

All globbed up with solder too.

I unsoldered the packs and resoldered them into ebike packs.

Was real interested in how soldering A123m1 cells would damage them.

I am starting to think all the endless fear of soldering A123 m1 cells may be bull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkDgoXikI_8

I really like high powered cells that are easy to solder together.

It may be years before I can report on the failure of those 2 times soldered and 1 time unsoldered cells ?

Yes, long lasting A123 m1 cells are best for everyday on and off road all weather use,

and if you want the fastest ev. http://killacycleracing.com/about-us/killacycle/

Last edited:

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I too build cells from dewalt packs. Except for my first few packs that I purchased directly from A123racing.com. I've pulled over 180A burst in rc dragracing with the A123's . Overheated them over 180F and that pack still worked for a year before it died. I should have a post of if in rcgroups forum. I soldered my cells too and look how long they are lasting. My packs hold 2000mah per cell still. Not bad considering they were around 2500mah when new. I used Novak battery bars on my cells.
Here's my current pack for the cold mornings, taken just now while they are charging. Notice my old school Balance pro charger that has the A123 settings.