Tractor 6 volt Headlight

GoldenMotor.com

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
Hello fellow MB'rs

ive just oreded a 6v tractor headlight, to hook up to the white wire.

first i was thinking of just hooking it up direct and pray. But today i was thinking of buying some kind of regulator...that way when i accelerate the volts dont burn my light.

went to Radio Shack and found this little volt regulators, that have input ground output...but they are either 5v or 12v .....i cant find a 6v one, could this little things really regulate my white wire?
has any of you tried this?xct2

Attachments

Last edited:

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
no I haven't. My guess is your light will either kill your engine or be very dim.
Norman
do mean that if i put a 5v regulator it would die or be dim? would you say i could get better results putting it raw on the white wire?

and Norman, thanx for you replys, they enlighten my experience.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm not sure about the regulator but a 6 volt light will normally not work but there is no harm in trying it you might find it will work I just don't know. My guess is to will stop the engine and if it does light the light you won't be happy with the output of the light will be dim. I does not hurt to experiment.
Norman

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
im not getting this... i just saw the lights you make, pretty neat and they work. what bulb do you use?

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
anyone around with a white wire light that doesn't use battery?

im gonna wait till i have the headlight...

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Me, I have one of Norms lights. It works off the white wire. No battery, no fuss. Start the bike, turn on the light switch and go.............................

REG1951

Jun 26, 2009
centralia,illinois
Hello fellow MB'rs

ive just oreded a 6v tractor headlight, to hook up to the white wire.

first i was thinking of just hooking it up direct and pray. But today i was thinking of buying some kind of regulator...that way when i accelerate the volts dont burn my light.

went to Radio Shack and found this little volt regulators, that have input ground output...but they are either 5v or 12v .....i cant find a 6v one, could this little things really regulate my white wire?
has any of you tried this?xct2
I'VE BEEN THINKING OF DOING THE SAME THING WITH A TRACTOR LIGHT FROM TSC FOR 14.95...AND WONDERED IF A PERSON COULD MATCH IT UP WITH A SMALL 6VOLT MOTORCYCLE BATTERY AND KEEP IT CHARGED WITH A WHEEL GENERATER AND THE WHITE WIRE ..WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I'VE BEEN THINKING OF DOING THE SAME THING WITH A TRACTOR LIGHT FROM TSC FOR 14.95...AND WONDERED IF A PERSON COULD MATCH IT UP WITH A SMALL 6VOLT MOTORCYCLE BATTERY AND KEEP IT CHARGED WITH A WHEEL GENERATER AND THE WHITE WIRE ..WHAT DO YOU THINK ?
If you only use the light occasionally, you do not need a separate generator. The white wire with a diode can keep the battery trickle charged. And because of the diode, it won’t hurt your spark output.

REG1951

Jun 26, 2009
centralia,illinois
Thanks Scotchmo...if I go to radio shack and buy one what do I ask for..is there a special type of diode that I will need? Thanks again Scotchmo for your input.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Bringing back this old thread. I'm looking for a similar light that I saw at NorthernTool the other day. It was on a little baja bike they had there. Actually for $649 this would not make a bad donor bike for someone with some major welding skills. Anyway I'm just looking for the light, anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
I wouldn't go the battery route. Just more weight. I am thinking of what to put on mine. So far my plan is to get a superbright 3Watt or better LED and put it in a light like that or find one pre made. Then, since the output of the white wire is going to be AC, you need a rectifier to make it DC, then out of the rectifier into a regulator to keep the voltage constant. And finally an electolytic capacitor to help smooth out any flickers or dimming. I think it will work, but for now I'm happy with my little handlebar mount LED flashlight.