Velalert bicycle Lidar based radar

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
From the makers of the companion bicycle seat (thebikeseat.com) comes Velo+Alert=Velalert. http://www.velalert.com Alerts you of oncoming cars behind you in your blind spot so you can react before it's too late! Website says it's in user testing (how can I become a tester?) seems pretty cool. Wonder about cost. I've used Lidar devices on ships and they are VERY expensive.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know about that one, jolfstn. And, I'm not criticizing you at all.

I use a rear view mirror and don't have any blind spot. I know there are a lot of people into tech today but my mirror doesn't need batteries, it will never quit working, it's absolutely fool proof and probably cost 1/100th of what that device will ultimately sell for.

But I'm a dinosaur and I don't even see a reason for the same technology in cars. What? People today can't turn their heads to look behind them or up to check a mirror?

I'm sure some folks will buy it. And thanks for sharing but I could find better things to spend my money on.
Again let me emphasize that I'm not poo-pooing on you or your thread, just the tech.

Tom

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
very valid points from both of you. Of course it's not necessary nor economically financially practical in all likelihood. In all the company's websites I couldn't find even a ballpark estimate cost of what these units might cost retail. In the last couple weeks I did witness a terrible motorcycle accident that I believe this device could have prevented but that perfect storm of circumstances is admittedly rare.
I just think it's cool and thought others might too. I was lucky enough to purchase a Companion Bike Seat prototype years ago and this device is made by the same people. I know they do quality work. When I find something new and/or unusual that I'm interested in sometimes I'm seized by the compulsion to share and this was one of those times. Bairdco and 2door, after much careful consideration, I have decided you have my permission to not purchase a Veralert device. This does not extend to anything else I may share on Motorbicycling.com but in this one case, I permit a single exemption each. Just don't get used to it. :p

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
With the lidar, it might slow down some of the speed demons --- if they've got a detector.....