San Diego's 12th Group Ride

GoldenMotor.com

Dbogue

Mar 7, 2012
Escondido
I had to drop off relatives at the airport this morning so I'm hanging around tinkering until the ride. Early bird gets the worm? Hah

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Guys those of you who missed out........What can I say. You missed out. We are here in Coronado at the Coronado Brewing Company enjoying beer and food. Scotto is the only one down. Waiting to hear from him.

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Hey guys we had a awesome ride today. Great turnout for the weather. Total of 8 rider. We had 2 2-strokes, and 6 4-strokes. 1 rider DNF. Weather was very windy, We were only sprinkled on twice in Coronado. All bikes performed well. I had a flat tire 1 mile south of Coronado. AC/DC and one of our new guys from Orange County stopped and helped me change it out. We were on the U.S. Seal property and we had Coronado PD stop by and say hello.They loved the bikes and AC/DC's getup. They told us to RIDE ON THE BIKE PATH!!! Can you believe that haha. They were very nice just doing their jobs and we left as soon as we got the bike back together. Phew. Made it back to Mission beach without much trouble. I broke a spoke and my wheel was thrown way outta true. Fun ride all together. Can't wait for the next one. All ready planing it out. Below are some specs of the ride.

Total miles: 66.53
Average speed: 19.73
Total ride time: 6:14:02
Moving time: 3:22:17
Max grade: 19:7%
Total bar tab: $102.56

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
A fun ride indeed Hawaii! I notice my pipe dragging along the ground a half mile after you broke down. It took me 10 minutes to rig up a new mount with my broken wire, but I managed to secure it and get back up and running. When I was ready to go, there was not a rider in sight. I thought I was going to go the whole way back by myself at that point. I cruised all the way to the Gaslamp solo and randomly ran into Drew. We both headed back to Mission Beach from there. Here are some pictures I took along the way.

Attachments

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Great Pics! I headed straight for home from Coronado. Clocked a total of 84.5 miles. Great ride, Mission Beach, Sunset Cliffs, San Diego Bay from Point Loma all the way around to the old Ferry Landing in Coronad and back through downtown SD and then on to Tierrasanta for me. Blew an exhaust gasket along the way but not a show stopper. Thanks Hawaii for organizing the ride. A super way to see the beautiful greater SD waterfront. Breakdowns and stuff falling off - all part of the excitement! Can't wait for the next great "Adventure!" I'll post a couple of pics if I can figure out how to get them off my phone. Ha!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Had a very fun ride until 26 miles down the road and BAM! This just goes to show you what the power of a 212cc engine can do to a CVT plate that is not meant to handle this kind of horsepower......just think what it can do to an inferior cheap walmart frame and the likes. This is just an example of what can happen when you build a motorized bike with an engine this size. Think twice before building something to this extreme.....everything needs to be strong and reinforced to handle this kind of power. It is no joke, take heed!

Let's RIDE!

dnut

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Had a very fun ride until 26 miles down the road and BAM! This just goes to show you what the power of a 212cc engine can do to a CVT plate that is not meant to handle this kind of horsepower......just think what it can do to an inferior cheap walmart frame and the likes. This is just an example of what can happen when you build a motorized bike with an engine this size. Think twice before building something to this extreme.....everything needs to be strong and reinforced to handle this kind of power. It is no joke, take heed!

Let's RIDE!
Wowser!!!
Glad you didn't crash. Damn, that could have failed at the Grange race.
What happened when it snapped off?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Damm scotto-! It just goes to proove that you certainly do push this sport to the limits....and beyond!
I am very glad that you did not get injured!
I am thinking of a backing plate made of mild steel "channel iron"?
I too am glad that it did not fail at Grange. That could have been very painful!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Wowser!!!
Glad you didn't crash. Damn, that could have failed at the Grange race.
What happened when it snapped off?
It locked up and came to a skidding halt. I thought I had snapped the belt......nope, belt still looks brand new.

Yes I'm very grateful it didn't happen at the race last weekend, wouldn't have won the races I did. Winning the ultimate race after winning my final was iceing on the cake (^)

dnut

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Scotto I'm glad you made it out in one piece. Tony can't wait for your pictures and also thanx for taking us to Coronado Brewing for an awesome lunch. Thanx to AC/DC and our new rider from Orange County for staying behind and helping me fix my flat. You guys were awesome!!! For our next adventure I was thinking about going out to the end of Point Loma to Cabrillo Lighthouse and then lunch in Old Town. Let me know what you guys think!!!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto I'm glad you made it out in one piece. Tony can't wait for your pictures and also thanx for taking us to Coronado Brewing for an awesome lunch. Thanx to AC/DC and our new rider from Orange County for staying behind and helping me fix my flat. You guys were awesome!!! For our next adventure I was thinking about going out to the end of Point Loma to Cabrillo Lighthouse and then lunch in Old Town. Let me know what you guys think!!!
I'm thinkin' mai tai's at the Bali Hai (2 maximum....1 for Pat) laff

That's what ya get fer askin (^)

dnut

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Here are the pictures I took with my cell phone; taken at Sunset Cliffs, Ocean Beach, CA.

I like the idea of riding out to the Point Loma Light House; only now you need a "National Parks Pass" to go all the way to the old light house. Another option is to take Rosecrans all the way out, onto the Navy Base and to the point. It is a nice ride and I got on the base with no problems. The Bali Hai as a "short-stop" is a MUST!!! Mexican Food is always my favorite!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Hey Hawaii,

After drooling over your Phantom Bikes exhaust pipe and listening to the wonderful growl, I went over there (Mira Mesa) and picked up a pipe, installed it and can't believe the BIG rumble!!! Thanks again!

Maxvision, I removed the shroud and backing plastic behind the pull starter (mostly for looks) and liked the result! The guys over at Phantom say that taking off that stuff will not result in an overheated engine (that is, if you don't sit at any lights tooooooooo loooooooong!). I think that the engine looks much better with the cylinder heat sinks exposed!! Not so much like a "Lawn mower" engine! Ha!

Attachments

Last edited: