dellorto issue

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
i have a dellorto 16.16, and for some reason a green thick liquid builds up in it and clogs my air filter. My bike runs well, no matter what jet size I use this green liquid shows up, I take the filter off and wipe the green off from inside the carb, i ride it for 30 minutes and there it is again.

Using opti-2 @100:1

Any idea what it could be and how to stop it? It's ruining my air filters! (Can post picture if needed)

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Fischer, are you using a DellOrto stock air filter ? I have tried using several of them at this altitude and never had good luck with them, same as you they get clogged very quickly. I have since switched to K&N filters and never had a problem (except falling off when I get stupid and forget to tighten the clamp ring). The accumulation you are seeing is caused by inadequate air flow, kinda like when you choke it off using your fingers.

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Fischer, are you using a DellOrto stock air filter ? I have tried using several of them at this altitude and never had good luck with them, same as you they get clogged very quickly. I have since switched to K&N filters and never had a problem (except falling off when I get stupid and forget to tighten the clamp ring). The accumulation you are seeing is caused by inadequate air flow, kinda like when you choke it off using your fingers.
Cool to see someone from Ft. Collins! No I do not use the stock filter, I use the high flow filters. Then, the green stuff seeps into the new filter, and clogs it. This happens with every filter I use :(

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That oil wont hurt a thing and will not clog up a foam or cloth filer, they're both made to be oiled and unless they are oiled they aren't much better than not using a filter at all since most all of any fine dust will pass right through them.

it does look like you may be running a bit rich though, I could be wrong about that but I run 100:1 with Opti2 and I dont get nearly that much oil build up on the intake entrance of the carb, again it's nothing to be concerned about though, it'll just make a mess but have no effect on performance.

Map
brnot

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
That oil wont hurt a thing and will not clog up a foam or cloth filer, they're both made to be oiled and unless they are oiled they aren't much better than not using a filter at all since most all of any fine dust will pass right through them.

it does look like you may be running a bit rich though, I could be wrong about that but I run 100:1 with Opti2 and I dont get nearly that much oil build up on the intake entrance of the carb, again it's nothing to be concerned about though, it'll just make a mess but have no effect on performance.

Map
brnot
Actually not the case, when using the cloth filters this oil seeped down into it and definitely clogged it. This amount of oil does not accumulate in two weeks, it accumulates in about an hour of riding. For ****s and gigs, I took off the filter, put a bigger jet in and it ran much nicer. Weird

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Actually not the case, when using the cloth filters this oil seeped down into it and definitely clogged it. This amount of oil does not accumulate in two weeks, it accumulates in about an hour of riding. For ****s and gigs, I took off the filter, put a bigger jet in and it ran much nicer. Weird
No way your tuning can be right if your blowing that much oil out the rear of the carb in an hour, I have cloth filters on my engines that are completely soaked in oil purposely by me before i ever start the engine and some have not been cleaned in months of occasional riding, since my first build in 2009 and actually logging a few thousand miles with most of it being on very dusty dirt roads, I never had a clogged cloth filter and I make sure they're always soaked in oil so that they will catch 90+% of the fine dust that gets kicked up on the roads I ride on.

What filter exactly are you using that is clogging up so easy?

I have never seen any cloth filter clog up like you're describing, since a cloth filter is actually designed to breathe better loaded with oil than what a paper fiber filter does when it is completely dry.

Map

.duh.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here are some pix of some of my bikes to show the dust they have on them after a short ride up the roads around here, wheels and area around carb get very dusty with fine silt type dust from these good ole central Texas caliche roads and I promise if you've never driven down a caliche road, you've never really been on what is an extremely dusty road, caliche dust sticks to everything and gets in everything on just about any type of vehicle.

My air filters stay covered in it most of the time and because of the good oiling I give them the dust stays out of my engines.

But filters never get clogged up like you are describing fischer550, just not sure what you have going on there.

Map

Attachments

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
But filters never get clogged up like you are describing fischer550, just not sure what you have going on there.

Map
I am using the same filter as yours in the first picture, I think its paper fiber. I will experiment more with tuning, but if it is because I am too rich, the spark plug is definitely not showing it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I am using the same filter as yours in the first picture, I think its paper fiber. I will experiment more with tuning, but if it is because I am too rich, the spark plug is definitely not showing it.
Well, I hope you get it lined out, I keep that filter sprayed down with K&N filter oil and of course it gets the normal 2 stroke oil blown back on it also, but I have never had an issue with a filter clogging up with oil, only thing that is gonna clog filter up is when the oil has absorbed so much dust that the air can no longer pass through it, I haven't had this happen yet either.

Again I hope you get it lined out to where you're happy with how it's working for you.

Map

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Well, I hope you get it lined out, I keep that filter sprayed down with K&N filter oil and of course it gets the normal 2 stroke oil blown back on it also, but I have never had an issue with a filter clogging up with oil, only thing that is gonna clog filter up is when the oil has absorbed so much dust that the air can no longer pass through it, I haven't had this happen yet either.

Again I hope you get it lined out to where you're happy with how it's working for you.

Map
If it was running rich, wouldn't the spark plug be black? Cause mine is not

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It all depends on how rich it would actually be, a black plug would be the plugs condition with an extremely rich condition, but you could be running on the rich side and the plug just be a dark brown, especially if you're running Opti2 @ 100:1

My plugs run a very light tanish brown to a medium almost grayish color on Opti2 @100:1, I think type of fuel and quality of fuel has something to do with the plug color also.

Does your engine cruise when riding on flat ground without any 4 stroking?

If it's 4 stroking at cruise rpm on flat ground then it's running on the rich side.

Map

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
did you cut the piston skirt? try running a 6'' hose from the carb to the filter like the 60's two stroke's did. that will give the blow back time to suck back in. they did that for a reason. them carbs are made for reeds so no blow back. dennis

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If it's 4 stroking at cruise rpm, why would that mean lean condition? 4 stroking is caused by fat condition right.
LOL...!

I just corrected my post, I guess I should have proof read it before posting, just now happen to see the mistake, YES... if it's 4 stroking at cruise speed it is running rich, fat, to much fuel...etc

Thanks for pointing this mess up in my post, must have had a brain fart or something at that moment.

Map
.duh.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I'd be willing to bet your exhaust is the problem.( To restrictive ).
Air flow is everything with a 2 stroke.
The goo is un-burnt fuel. The gas then evaporates off in the air flow from the carb and leaves the oil.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'd be willing to bet your exhaust is the problem.( To restrictive ).
Air flow is everything with a 2 stroke.
The goo is un-burnt fuel. The gas then evaporates off in the air flow from the carb and leaves the oil.
I agree about the restrictive exhaust, even some of the expansion pipes dont let these engine breathe good enough for top performance.