Opti-2 in a vintage 2 stroke... bad idea?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
While a lot has been written about Opti-2 (too much, I think), I've been a happy user for well over a year, maybe it's two years now. I ran it in several China Girl motors, a Stihl weed whacker and a couple of older Jonsured chainsaws with no trouble, no smoke and obnoxious odor. I especially appreciated that with the chainsaws where you're right there breathing in the exhaust. The big chainsaw that must be around forty years old ran an Alaskan Mill with a three foot bar for making lumberand got hard use putting up firewood for myself and to sell. In other words, this saw has seen a lot of use, yet it seems happy enough with the newer opti-2.
So, now I have a couple of older 2 stroke motors o current bike builds. One isn't all that old, but it was broken in long before opti- 2 was available and has seen a lot of miles. This is a Tomos A35 engine.
The other is the real reason for posting this thread. It is a Fitchel & Sachs model 1932 98 cc 2 stroke which was made between 1931 and 1950. It too, has seen many hours of use. It is a well engineered, quality engine designed for light motorcycles in Germany. The fellow who supplied the engine is an expert on vintage Whizzers, Cushmans, etc. and is old school for sure. He recommended some obscure oil from Shell designed for running airplane engines. It is not what they would have used back in the 1930's in Germany, I'm sure. I'm sure the recomendation is a good one, but I also know that even the "experts" are slow to embrace new ideas or products.
I don't know what oil to use or at what ratio. If I thought it would be OK, I'd as soon use opti-2 since my experience with it is good. But is it a bad idea? Any opinions? Has anyone else tried using Opti-2 or say Amsoil Sabre in a vintage 2 stroke? I'd like to run a clean engine and keep it going for a long time to come. Thanks.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bear,
I've never tried it, never had a vintage 2 stroke, but with my experience with an old chain saw and snow blower, I wouldn't be afraid to make the change. Look at it this way; your main concern is lubrication quality. I think it's been proven that Opti provides that.
I realize that's easy to say; it's not my engine, but you did ask for opinions. That's mine.
Tom

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tom,
I appreciate your opinion. Actually, it was your early experience with opti 2 and a much used china girl that has me wondering. If my memory is correct (often isn't) you had some difficulties with that engine and there was some speculation that an engine broken in on regular motor oil and then run on Opti-2 might release built up something or other inside the cylinder and make it not run well. I never did understand, but do remember the discussion. Hopefully someone here has some experience running an old Villiars or Clinton or something. The Sachs is such a nice engine I want to do what is best for it.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bear,
Going back to the infamous 100:1 thread and the discussion you mentioned, the engine in question was never a strong runner. In fact it was the worst running China Girl I've had. Since that one I've run Opti in new and old engines with no trouble. The snow blower I mentioned above is a 22 year old Snapper that I'd always run on a 32:1 mix of regular two stoke oil until I made the switch to Opti 2 years ago. I'm fully cognizant that the Snapper engine is not in the same league with your vintage Sachs, I'm simply using it as an example of going to Opti after years of service on standard oil.

Other than the issue of oily/smelly/smoky exhaust, there might not be any real advantage to using Opti in that precious old engine of yours. But then where are you going to get the oil that you said was recommended "obscure Shell product" ?
Keep us informed as to what you decide. I'm interested!

Tom

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's good to hear about the china girl motor in question. While I do want to take care of this antique motor, I'm also lazy. Having one mixed gas around helps me weary old brain to keep things straight. Same stuff for the chainsaw as for the china girl and for the Sachs... can't screw things up that way. I don't see what would be different about an old chainsaw motor from a many years old snowblower or old Clinton lawnmower... or maybe the Sachs or Villiars antique jewel. I'd still like to hear of any first hand experience with this new oil in an old motor.
SB

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
That's good to hear about the china girl motor in question. While I do want to take care of this antique motor, I'm also lazy. Having one mixed gas around helps me weary old brain to keep things straight. Same stuff for the chainsaw as for the china girl and for the Sachs... can't screw things up that way. I don't see what would be different about an old chainsaw motor from a many years old snowblower or old Clinton lawnmower... or maybe the Sachs or Villiars antique jewel. I'd still like to hear of any first hand experience with this new oil in an old motor.
SB
Harry76 runs old Villiers, I wonder what oil & mix he uses?