How to easily determine which engine i have.

GoldenMotor.com

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
Is there a way to identify which version of 80cc engine i have? In that i mean, Grube, PK-80, Skyhawk, Flying Horse, GT5, or any of the other version of the engines? I would like to purchase a kit for something, but i need to know which version of the engine i have.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
other than opening it & taking measurements of many things (some sellers mix & match parts to make a motor), you can't tell much from the outside

many things will fit many other things no matter where they came from and only a few things don't fit everything

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
I wanted to get a top end kit from CR machine. I don't have the time anymore to do a full out build like i was planning to. to. I don't want to get parts for the wrong engine.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
measure the stroke and the height of the piston hole and the distance on cylinder between deck where head gasket sits and deck where base gasket sits

ideally, if you match all three of those, your port timing should be OK (tho some H2 cyls had staggered transfer ports with one side about 4mm higher than the other, but they're rare)

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Look at the connecting rod. Usually there is some sort of identifier code on it. You can tell what type of piston you need that way or by checking out the wristpin location on the piston.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree... the ID code on the connecting rod as well as the piston pin location is the best way to check what you got and what's compatible with your engine... there are a lot of parts that can mix and match once you know the pin location and the stroke.