sick and tired of (now 10 yrs) TV

GoldenMotor.com

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Cut the cord 20 yrs ago .............long before "Avant Garde TV series" (a-hole TV) --back when IFC stopped showing FORIEGN and IDEPENDANT FILMS................and AMC stopped showing BLACK AND WHITE BOGIE FLICKS.....................

so I had my reasons to cut the cord long (1998 - last time IFC actually showed "White Baloon" - Persian film...................rem? when some cable channels showed movies with Subtitles/and Black and White too!! (Stranger than Paradise - another IFC offering back then) before it was kewl to love a-hole characters and their related series.

I know a-hole in real live - I tried to watch Mad Men/Rome/etc...............all made up of A-holes that I do not like - either personally(as in the ones I work with) - or in the abstract - on TV.

fook that. where the fook is a TV show like The Waltons? today.

last two shows I really liked were Firefly and Journeyman -both cancelled (not enough arsholes on them I guess)...............

serious I've had enough!/////cut the cord almost 20 yrs ago - watch GREAT shows of the 60's/70's/90's (not good TV from the 80's - sad but true).

70's I Claudious.........about Rome - but without a-holes.............or Rome...................I threw away my Rome DVD burns (main two characters showed some likability, then killed some bloke for no reason/repeat0......I'll Take Derrick Jackoby any time of day.

same with BBC 70's Wifes of Henry the 8th/ Elizebeth R ------vs today's DRECK!!!!!!!!!!!

there is NO TASTE today..................

and again why to all to many love ARSEHOLES???????????????????? from today's TV? -the love their ARSEHOLE BOSSES/WIFES/HUSBANDS too??????????

and I'm not an namby-pamby Christian (love your Enemy crap) - I'm an Eye for an Eye Atheist.

yet give me a few viewings of The Waltons over Mad Men any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: sick and tired of (now 10 yrs) arsehole TV

If I watch any TV it's AMC (America's Most Commercials) or occasionally "The Weather Channel. Other than that television is a wasteland of mindless, humorless sitcoms with that inane phoney recorded laugh track or that 'Reality' format that I abhor. Who thinks that counts as 'entertainment'?

The only real use I have for a television is to watch movies on DVDs. Anything else is a total waste of time.

AMC at least occasionally has a movie that I can sit and watch for a few minutes before the commercial break (usually 10 minutes long) comes on. I loose interest fast but I will wait for a favorite scene to come on. Maybe Vito Corleon saying, "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" or Col. Kilgore, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning". Then the commercials start and I'm gone.

I used to watch 'Discovery' or 'The History Channel' but they got off on their stupid series, "Ice Road Truckers' "The Deadliest Catch' and others that fell into the 'reality' format and I left them behind. Now even the 'Weather Channel has them. 'Fat Men in the Woods'? Good grief :(

Too bad. TV has such potential but it's wasted and useless. In my opinion.

Tom

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman

its all about media consolidation.

TLC - used to have that cute cat and the water puddle (1980's) and the Tree of Knowledge moniker (80's also).....before she was bought out by Discovery.....I the 90's...which was in turn bought out by whomever.

now all those crap channels are own by some sort.............TLC/Disc/"history" (that's a laugh!)................20+ channels owned by ???????????? - no clue.

Disney? Viacom?...................whomever................they own the "big three" over the air too.

crap in crap out.

I personally blame consolidation, which result is zero competition.

why I fought the "tilting at windmills" FM battle with my 1-watter "pirat FM setup agains Clear channel and the "Hel"icom act of 1996.

still tilting - this time collecting great shows (Callan/Sandbaggers/Gideons Way/Human Jungle/Nowhere Man/Secret Army/U.F.O./the Invaders/Star Maidens/Dark Skies/Out of the Unknown/Saffire and Steel..........etc.

many UK and PAL format..not offered in the States and never shown on American TV channels.

lost a lot of my show when my SSD bricked - rebuilding. have the transmitting equipment.

lack the pole, and antenna and building the PC to serve the show to my nearby neighbors - mile or so my 30 watt will provide - as a service to those with rabbit ears and fed up with the current state of TV programing.

as my meager attempt at community service.

prob take me another year to install the antenna and 50ft pole though ;-/.

.......still fighing the fight in the lost cause.

thinking of AM too - SSTRANS AMT5000 unit sounds pretty good (huge fan of OTR - Radiodrama and what I used to provide via my meager FM station years ago - for those within a mile range.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I like to watch the concerts on Palladia. NOVA on PBS is usually worth a watch.

Oh, Fixer Upper on HGTV --- JoJo is just hot!!

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman

had my PC hooked up to my HDTV - currently 60" (was 37 ") since 2007.

my "TV" is over the air PBS and YouTube shows - documentaries, Yale lectures, and the TV shows I discovered above and then bought the DVD sets off.

have an OPPO dvd player that plays PAL --but its region coded ;-(................bought my DVD's before my SSD bricked, and so made clones of my bought DVDs with DVDFAB (made copies without the region codes - so I could watch the shows on my player).

sadly since my SSD bricked, I've re-installed most stuff (on an new - another brand - a pox on OCZ! - SSD), but now have no excess to re-install my "lifetime membership" of FABDVD (due to the United States since about a year ago BLOCKING access to the Chinese website -FABDVD violate the DMCA - Oh God NO!!!!!!!!!!!!). I'll have to learn to use and sign up for a VPN to "get around" the Feds in order to use the 130 buck lifetime membership I shelled out for three years ago - due to the "live install" method of FABDVD I has not full re-install of the program on any DV/us thumb drive ;-(.

it kinds sucks because I shelled out 70 bucks for "Out of the Unknown (60's Britihs Tiwilight Zone type TV show - which I got and cant now play on my DVD player being "out of region"!!!!!!!!!!!! and loosing my FABDVD program that I used to make LEGAL copies of DVD I BOUGHT in order to play them on my own DVD player!

lawyers and copright BS such..................its out of proportion to reason.

Last edited:

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman

we are neighbors Sir.................if you know of the old frequency that KWTV broadcast on and are in my town south of you in say the next year or so................and you have a TV with an analog tuner (most amazing - even now come with one built in!!! - lol - not sure why, since analog will be officially dead in Sept 2015 for Low Power and has been dead for regular full power since 2009 -but its true, most TV still got em......................tune to the old KWTV channel and you my find my signal of "original programming"

if all goes according to my multi-yr plan..............lol. already shelled out 800 bucks for the equipment - so far.

lol.

Don Quioto(sp) for sure that what I am. ;-/.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

The only frequency I know of for KWTV is "9"......(really)......:D

I've seen a couple friction drive MB's when I've been in Norman. I actually call Moore home. Even though I've got an OKC addy, my backyard fence is on the border of OKC/Moore. It better defines where I live.

I could probably do without TV. I know it's going through an 'awkward' period lately, but it was my friend for so long!

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman

Moore.ugh............not MB friendly. took my life in my hands just trying to get to Marcum's for my usual "Cottonsed mulch" Friday! (bigtime Gardener myself - whoel frontyard is for food - usually miniture watermelons, and cantalopes (pox on tomatoes - too much trouble, didn't bother with them this year)...............all vertical on steel trellis.............free for neighbor to pick. usually get 50 or so mellons and cant eat that many................they are good for juicing FYI.

119th..............all fast cars and no bikes. I'll take "old town" "city center" (officially called "original town site" - where I live (sidewalks - walker-bike friendly neighborhood) - over Moore.

Moore ;-(.

not offence, but no thanks.

one of those MB with a friction drive you saw was probably Ironhorse 5.1 (who signed up here one day after myself - we met about a week before either of us signed up here - small world indeed. I saw him on Alameda about 3 weeks ago, going toward 24th street.

if you see a silly fellow on a "goped" with a Happyface flag - that'll be me.

lol.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

Yesterday, we came home from a couple of days away, and I opened my emails. My phone supplier, British Telecom, also supplies 2 sports channels. Some mentally enfeebled buffoon decided they would buy the rights to some football championship; this is expensive, so to pay for it, they have informed the subscribers that if they want to watch any of the good stuff on BT2 (MotoGP for me), they are expected to cough for £5 extra a month.

They can shove it. I have been told that if I call 2 weeks before the change occurs, they will do something for me, and I have told them that if I don't get what I want out of them, I'm jumping ship and going to another phone supplier.

Hands up how many here want to watch overpaid jessies chasing a bladder of wind around, and then bursting into 10 year old girl celebrations when they kick the thing into a net, which is actually their job?

Rant? Rant? I'll give them rant!

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles

Just another integral part of the decline/destruction of civilization

watch it and dope up!!!!

Who is responsible ????

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU FATHERS OUT THERE AND THOSE THAT AREN'T

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

My giant boat anchor of a 90's television finally broke a little over a month ago. Haven't watched tv since. Don't miss it at all. I'm reading a lot more now.

My laptop broke shortly before the tv died. My only internet access is my phone, so I'm doing that a lot less now, too.

Pretty soon I'll just be a be a neo-luddite if this keeps up.

I'm happy living in my world of wheels and gears.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

I haven't watched TV in twenty years. Like the rest of you I got tired of the non programs that were on and spent time in my work shop instead. I was working for a lot of the years so it was more fun than wasting time with the TV and far more profitable in my mind.

Then the motor bike's took over after retirement and they have been a constant source of enjoyment. The family keeps telling me that I should have seen this or that and when they finished telling me about it I didn't miss a thing

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

They really make me angry, diving all the while, hoping for a free kick or a penalty, rolling about like the dying swan in a ballet, when there are real heroes out there. Ever see Jorge Lorenzo trying to race a GP bike while held together with plates and bolts? He climbed off it at the end of the race, weeping both with the pain and the frustration of "only" coming in 5th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_DmBUFT9CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYkJijQCc2Q

Football nancy closet gay hairdresser mommy's boys indeed.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Football (soccer) is big in my part of Canada. More schools play it than our contact football. As a matter of fact rugby is bigger as well.

I have seen parts of football games on European news channels and have seen what your talking about. Two guys working to get a ball away from the other one and suddenly one is flying through the air and as soon as he lands he's flipping around like a freshly caught trout on a river bank gasping for air while pointing at his opponent.

When they replay it the whole thing is as phoney as they can get. The other fella wasn't any closer that 3 feet from him when he took the swan dive.

It's amazing that the fella on the bike got away with just a broken collar bone. Then to come back and race to a 5th spot hurting like he must have is the mark of a true sportsman.
Sorts out the players from the Prima Donnas doesn't it.

Steve.