Where to buy a Lifan 97cc flathead?

GoldenMotor.com

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Hi guys Iam trying to find a Lifan 97cc flathead but I only seem to find the OHV ver? I think I found one on ebay but I wonder if the ebay one will have a factory warranty? The one I found on home depo says its a side valve, every one here says its a OHV? Any idea where I can find a warranted Lifan 97cc flathead? Thanks.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
No idea about new, but they pop up time to time on Craiglist since they are used on the Baja DB30 Doodlebug mini bike and a lot of people dump them to upgrade to the 212cc Preddy. oldminibikes.com always has some available from peeps upgrading.

There was one locally for sale for $50 for at least a month that I was tempted to buy for a 4 stroke bike build, I should have picked it up to save for later...

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Ya that's the only side valve that I can find BUT there is NO warranty with that engine. From what Ive read the OHV ver isn't very bike friendly.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Old,

Look again at the Ebay listing and you can check a box for $29.99 and get a 3 year warranty.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I ordered from him and it shipped today. I also ordered a Honda 160 carb for the engine. Next thing are the rims and hubs. Iam looking at a something like this for the rear hub. http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche...urmey+Archer+Rear+Drum+Brake+9+speed+cassette

With a 9 speed 11 to 34t cassette. Iam just wondering how would I drive the cassette? What would you guys do? The SBP 4-stroke jackshaft is made for the 49cc class engines. Iam powering with my 97cc Lifan. Ive looked at AGK's jackshaft and that dosent seem to work for this? Any ideas how to set up a 97cc Lifan with a 9 speed brake hub?

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
As you know I have the same engine with the AKG jackshaft.I made a simple mount to connect to the jackshaft of the SBP kit.So I am running what you are looking to do...except to the 5 speed sturmey hub.One thing I can say is you won't use all 9 of those gears.5 spd freewheel is perfect maybe a 6 spd max.You will use the lower gears just not the higher ones.Unless you wont the extra gears for Mountainbiking not Motorbiking.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
As you know I have the same engine with the AKG jackshaft.I made a simple mount to connect to the jackshaft of the SBP kit.So I am running what you are looking to do...except to the 5 speed sturmey hub.One thing I can say is you won't use all 9 of those gears.5 spd freewheel is perfect maybe a 6 spd max.You will use the lower gears just not the higher ones.Unless you wont the extra gears for Mountainbiking not Motorbiking.
Ya Iam looking at a super low gear setup with a 34 tooth granny gear so I was thinking a 9 speed would give me a smaller jump from the 26 tooth 6th gear to the 34 tooth 9th gear? Soooo howd ya do it? I want to do the same. Thanks