hard restarts

GoldenMotor.com

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
my 80cc motor starts ok after a nights rest but when i stop it at a light and shut down it will start but then slowly die unless i keep petaling for a bit, what can cause this?
ive changed plug recently but it sounds like a fuel issiue, maybe foaming when shutting down, or the carb floods the engine then takes a few seconds to refill bowl before engine has getup and go.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
These are a little difficult to diagnose but it helps if we know what carburetor you have. How does it idle when cold? Have you tried increasing the idle speed so it doesn't die at stop signs?
Let us know what carb you have and we can be more specific with suggestions.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you using the choke when it hot?
I ask that because if you are, that may be the problem.

On the other hand, I had one build that NEEDED the choke if I left the bike shut off for more than 10 minutes.

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
it does idle when cold, requires choke when its real cold out side but if its warm once i start it it can sit and idle ok, and i have the stock carb with rtv sealing everything, the engine can idle ok, its just when i let her sit for a few mins like when i go into a store or sit at a light for a min or to i have to pedal more to start it, even if im up to the 10mph shell start fine but then die off like starving for fuel then comes back to life after a bit of force pedaling
haven't checked my plug but im past breakin so im running a lighter mix, of synthetic, then the 16:1 i think bottle says 40:1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Stock Carburetor" doesn't tell us enough. We need to know which carb you have.

Did this problem start after you changed your oil mix?

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
are you turning off the petcock when it is stopped?

are you hitting the tickler button when you restart?

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
stock carb mean the pos that comes with all regular kits, not a cns or a speed just the one you see on every regular build that has the cheap kits from ebay, i always use kill switch to turn it off, and it happens when i turn engine off for more than a minute, and it will start fine but then a few seconds later will die like its starving for gas and if i keep pedaling it starts up. the fuel stays on i don't shut it off (im only down for a minute when walking into a gas station) and i don't hit the tickler, tried doing it and it does same thing. the plug is new its only a gallon old and that's with new mix and was gapped same as last one, would not start at smaller gap. and it was a problem with old mix closer to the end if the two gallon break-in , i do notice carb is every so slightly tilted towards engine (intake is a short strait pipe)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
NT=POS? Most people have more trouble with the CNS carb from what I've seen.

It's a super simple easy to set up carb. True, there aren't a bunch of adjustments you can make with one, but in a lot of cases, that's a GOOD thing. :)

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
dont know if the nt carb is the one that origanally came with these kits when they were made, it looks like this one, the kit i have is a no sticker 80cc from boygofast on ebay. so it frills or fancy stuff just the slanted head

carb looks like this one

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Carburetor-80cc-2-Stroke-Engine-Motorized-Bicycle-new-/05/!B71hnGgEWk~$(KGrHqJ,!iYEzMy7VgciBM1Zytm9b!~~0_35.JPG

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
just try losing the gas cap where it's almost to come off,then try it with it lose.The cap may need a vent whole drilled thru the cap.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
always turn the gas off when you park it even if for only a minute - when the bike leans onto the kickstand, the gas in the bowl can run down into the motor - not a big deal if the gas is off, but when on, you can get quite a bit down in there making starting harder

tickling it a bit before starting will refill the bowl quickly if some has run down

Last edited: