Given up!

GoldenMotor.com

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
I really enjoyed riding the bike and getting it running but i have very little patients lol. So i'm gonna invest in a scooter that has less maintenance. I want to get rid of all my MB parts or sell whole for $300
I'm losing well over 200 bucks but it's price to sell fast (hopefully).
I live in Shawnee KS who ever wants to pick up the whole bike or i might be able to part out!
I also bought a expansion chamber that didnt fit the bike as i found out its a 49cc exhaust for a pocket bike. (damn ebay) You can cut and re weld to make fit but i don't have a welder.

so the list:
49cc expansion chamber $40

Attachments

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
It's a huffy/schwinn cruiser if all i know! Ha just looking for some of the cash to put towards a new project!

youknouno

May 27, 2012
Florida
Maybe not give up so quick? you may be just a step or two away from getting it to run how you like. What sort of trouble was it giving you? What motor you got on it and where'd you pick it up from?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I have always wanted a MB and finally got going with one last year. I also went through the learning curve and frustration that most new riders experience, but after a couple weeks I got things tuned up and running pretty reliably.
Funny thing is, I had a Honda Elite 50 scooter sitting in my garage for almost 12 years that I got when I purchased my house, it came with the "Everything in the garage" deal. The kid told me "I rode the he11 out of it in college until the motor seized up" so I never messed with it. Last year I almost tossed out the scooter cause it was taking up space in the garage, I tried to kick it over and it was locked solid. While wheeling it out I took a look at it and saw all those parts, levers, cables, nuts and bolts etc and thought to myself, "Hey, I could use this stuff on a MB, why toss it out", so there it sat...
After a year riding and working on the MB I decided why not rip this scooter apart and see what's going on with it. To my surprise I found it was in pretty decent shape, the knuckle head that owned it just jammed up the kick start and burnt out the electric starter. I fixed the kick, then fixed the starter motor, all for free, and actually got her to fire up a bit. This encouraged me to push further, so I pulled the carb, it was gunked up beyond belief! I tried to clean it up but it was really bad, so it ended up in an overnight berrymans parts dip. I put in a new spark plug, new air filter and put the cleaned carb back on and hot damn, she fires up and runs freakin great, cost me less than $20 bucks.... (the damn thing sat for at least 12 years without a spark plug installed and still fired up and ran without too much coaxing, gotta love a Honda!)
I've had the scooter rolling all summer, and the MB too. I find that I do ride both, the MB is more fun to ride in a lot of ways, and I do still get a fair amount of exercise on the MB. The scooter parks and locks up easier and is a bit more friendly to drive in traffic, turn signals and all, and has a real headlight for riding at night. So I ride the MB more for recreation and the scooter more for running errands etc, but I do ride them both....
I guess what I am trying to say is, if you need something more reliable that you can put on a lot of miles without wrenching a scooter is a good choice, however, the MB is just more fun and sporty, so they both have their place. It's kinda funny, when I ride the MB everyone looks and smiles and asks questions seeming very impressed, when I ride the scooter people kinda seem to be holding back a chuckle. (like I give a damn!) Totally different experience. I'm glad I have the scooter but I'm definitely gonna keep my MB, perhaps you may consider doing the same? I like having them both, when I am wrenching on one I am riding the other, it works out nice...
If you do buy a scooter, after my experience I can't help but suggest you look at a Honda.....

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i went to electric for the same reasons. scooter need to tag and insure and everything else here. i am real happy with my decision

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
I've pretty much put in 500 dollars in this bike and its given me a lot of trouble. I feel like if I put an expansion chamber, pirate intake manifold and a36t sprocket then it weevil run good but I kinda don't want to dish out another hundred or more. Too much money for a motor bike. I could've had a scooter already. Carbs are good and it runs but lack umph.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
IMHO the most effective upgrades for the HT kits are the cheapest ones. Spark plug, plug wire, chain, air filter, carb tuning, use torque wrench and loctite. If you do the above you have a fair chance at building a decent running bike... The rest of the expensive stuff gives much less bang for the buck IMHO....

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
IMHO don't dump a ton of money into a H.T. Chinese two stroke. These engines give all two strokes a bad name. I have been Two stroking for ever now just not with a H.T.....There are lots of better alternatives out there.

Last edited:

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
yeah i don't wanna dish out more money if it's not running right IMO. I mean 25 mph isn't anything but 2 miles more than i can run huh! i need something at least 40mph for a comfortable ride and upgrade from skateboarding to work! Done it before and it sucks unless all downhill!
i'm 26 and still skateboard since 16 and love it but i want something cheap reliable and steady. i don't mind tinkering but not fixing every 2 seconds because of a single misadjustment!

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
I've also looked at intake manifold upgrades and expansion chamber/sprockets for better speeds but i want a guaranteed performance not a maybe if and or but!
40mph is decent for what i'm looking to and from work but a non idling motor always maintaining motor is a pain in the a$$! And i kinda want to move on to a scooter? I can clean a carb and normal maintenance but a tune up every ride is annoying!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Sry to see another person with more expectations than reality can produce at the lowest end of the horsepower range.

40mph will be very serious, on a scooter, and will require the next step up in displacement class. Reliability... well that's another situation!
It can only be resolved with the quality that requires bucks, and plenty of 'em.
Good luck
rc

And I would agree with the nightcruiser... an HT is really not worth putting a bunch of investment bucks into, unless you're just doing it outright for the fun of it.
IMO, the best improvement that can be made would be replacement of the rag joint with a hub adapter.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
can you give some #'s for the 49cc pocket bike pipe?

Looks like it'd maybe fit my 33cc, 43-46 scooter ones do. I'll check mine in the next few days. or would that be way to big? :|

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Sad to see you go, but I think you are making the right decision by going with a scooter if you want a reliable 40+ MPH ride. My wife had a Vespa LX150 for a while and it was a blast to ride. No issues, just gas and go, and would easily cruise at 50+.

From what I hear, with the right gearing you can get a good 40+ out of a 99cc Predator build and have a pretty reliable running bike, but I have no first hand experience with one of those... yet!

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
cmmans,
The pipe is about 26in. and i think the bolt pattern is the same as these 80cc motors. isn't it 32mm? Not sure.

maurtis,
If i could find whatever problem i'm having and fix it then i would want to keep it.

Does the gas octane levels matter on these 2 strokes?

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Also another help question towards making me keep this MB.

Is there a reason my "get up isn't" good enough because of my sprocket size? ( 44t rear sprocket)
And should i get a 30-36t rear sprocket for better high speeds and tame down my rpm's or should i get a bigger sprocket like a 52t for better acceleration?