New Rings, How do I re-install the cylinder?

GoldenMotor.com

motor

Jul 9, 2011
NM
I put new rings on my motor (48cc grubee). How do I re-install the cylinder. I know this can break my rings so I want to do it correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 13, 2011
WEST MIFFLIN PA
Hi, Do you have the rings on the piston already? That may be an area where you could break one. I'd use a snap ring spreader { kind of reverse pliers } to open them up and put in grooves of piston.

Look at ur piston, in both grooves you'll see where theres a pin inserted. This is to keep the ring from turning/rotating to a point where it could catch on a port. The split in ring is to be placed at this pin.

I put a little oil { 2 stroke or motor oil/whatever is close by } on piston & rings. Allighn splits with pins and push cylinder over piston gently.

Mine went on smooth. The bottom of the cylinder is beveled to press in rings as you push, but I was re-installing on used rings, the sharper edges of a new set may require u to help them a little.

Good luck

PS To all the "pro's" out there, Please add any clarifications or correct anything I may have left out something.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
There is an anti-rotation pin on the piston that the ring gap has to line up with.
The ring gaps must align with them before installing the piston into the cylinder.

When you replace the rings make sure that you look at the inside edge of the rings and there you will see that there is a bevel on the inside edge make sure when you put the rings on the piston that the bevel is facing up toward the head and not down.

Simple thumb and forefinger.... Compress the ring onto the piston watch closely what you are doing don't force anything. Get one ring inside at a time. Its really pretty easy to do.

Last edited:

motor

Jul 9, 2011
NM
Thanks,

Just what I was looking for. I will let you know how it goes. It will be a few weeks before I get it done (going on vacation).

motor

Jul 9, 2011
NM
Got ther rings installed today. Worked great!. Thanks. Now I need to figure out why I am not getting any power. Revs up fine without load. Dies with load.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That will be a very cool bike! I still like those triangular frames. The chinas fit in there like a glove:)

motor

Jul 9, 2011
NM
Thanks, I will try the some of the tweaks tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I am also having as problem with the kill switch - it does not kill!

motor

Jul 9, 2011
NM
Tried the float adjustment. It worked great to improve idle to about 3/4 throttle performance. WOT still has issues. I think I need to change the main jet to a smaller size to lean out the mixture.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Pull the jug off the case, then install the piston on the rod. If the piston has the arrow on it make sure the arrow points towards the exhaust. Then slide the jug over the piston compressing the rings with your thumb and forefinger as you ease it down. Might take a couple tries , makes sure small pin on piston stays lined up with the gap in each ring.

motor

Jul 9, 2011
NM
You can do as boocher13 suggest, that is the cheapest way. I will post a bit more info on that method shortly. You can also buy or make a ring compression sleeve. The sleeve simply wraps around the rings and helps you compress them evenly as you push down on the cylinder. I have made some from hard flexible plastic before. flat thin plastic like what is used in milk containers. I used an old binder one of my kids had used for school. Cut a strip long enough to wrap around about 1 3/4 times around the piston and just wide enough to cover both rings. wrap it around the piston and pull on the end to compress the rings while you push down on the head. You may need three hands :)! I don't like this as much as just using my fingers.

motor

Jul 9, 2011
NM
Here is some more detail on the method just using your fingers. Once you have the piston and rings installed on the engine case, slide the cylinder on to the piston until the bottom of the cylinder is touching the first ring. Make sure it is making contact all the way around. Use your thumb and index finger to compress the first ring. I like to start with my index at 12 o'clock and thumb at 6 o'clock with the notch on the ring at 9 o'clock. Press the ring with your fingernails while gently and evenly pushing on the cylinder. You may only get part of the ring to slide in, that is OK. Slowly and patiently keep going around the ring until you get it all to slide in. I found that if it does not go in all around, I go to the opposite side from where it is in and try to push that section in. remember to try and push on both sides all the time as you did when you started otherwise you may just be chasing the section that does not slide in around the piston. Be patient, once you figure it out you will find it easier. Make sure to keep the cylinder bottom parallel to the ring. If you don't it will not work. Once you get the first ring in, push the cylinder down until the bottom is touching the second ring, again, make sure the bottom is parallel with the second ring and touching all the way around. Now repeat the fun you had with the first ring. I you get bound up, gently pull up on the cylinder to get all of the second ring out and start over. I have pulled the cylinder up in frustration and managed to get the first ring out also at this stage. that can be very frustrating. Go slow, don't get frustrated. The ring will compress easier near the split. Remember gentle and even pressure to keep everything parallel. It does get a lot easier once you figure it out.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you're installing with piston on the rod, remove the 2 back studs to give you more room to work the rings - other way is to put piston in cyl, then put wrist pin thru piston.