Motorized Bicycles in the News

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Law enforcement to continue to pull over gas-powered bicycles | bicycles, helper, bikes - Northwest Florida Daily News

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
CambridgeTimes Article: Woman fights off men trying to steal bike

"A 35-year-old Cambridge woman swarmed by three men while riding her electric bike successfully foiled their attempt to steal her bicycle Thursday evening.
The woman was riding her motor-powered bike on Christopher Drive near Champlain Boulevard at about 9:30 p.m. when she realized she was being followed by three males on bicycles.
One of the men yelled demanding she stop, and soon the three swarmed her and forced her to pull over. One asked to take her bike for a ride, but she refused. He grabbed the throttle grip of the bike, causing the bike to veer off into some bushes.
The woman used her cellphone to call 911 and the three men sped off on their bikes southbound on Christopher Drive. She was unharmed.
The male who attempted to steal the motorized bike was described as white, tanned, about five-feet, eight-inches tall, about 160 pounds, clean shaven with short dark hair.
Anyone with any information can call 519-653-7700, ext. 2299 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)."

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
The male who attempted to steal the motorized bike was described as white, tanned, about five-feet, eight-inches tall, about 160 pounds, clean shaven with short dark hair.
Anyone with any information can call 519-653-7700, ext. 2299 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)."
if i walked around that area there's a good chance i'd be arrested -.-

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Matt, just read your sig.

Guy traveling 30 mph on motorized bicycle down Main Street sidewalk, Batavia | The Batavian

Last line, not good. Last I read Motorized Bicycles were not kosher in NY and certinly at 30 and on a side walk.

"Guy traveling 30 mph on motorized bicycle down Main Street sidewalk, Batavia
Submitted by Billie Owens on September 7, 2011 - 12:32pm
A man is reportedly riding a motorized two-wheel bicycle on the sidewalk on Main Street in the city of Batavia. When the caller reported this he was near Burger King. Watch out pedestrians. The guy is going about 30 mph.
Upon getting the report the cop says: "Oh kay," with some hesitation.
The dispatcher replies: "I know what you mean."
He's toting a light-brown backpack on his back. He's white. But he was easily spotted by police, all descriptions aside.
Two days ago the same guy was seen, by me, on Maple Street (actual street).
UPDATE 12:35 p.m.: The bicyclist is having a chat with an officer about his travel plans."

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
(lol@ the auther's name. Like her Mom forgot while giving birth. "er..Chua I think" ((My sincerest apologies Ms er... what was your name?))

Toronto News: E-bikes banned from cycling trail - thestar.com

Gloria Er-Chua
Staff Reporter

A sign that went up quietly last week prohibits electric bikes from using the Martin Goodman Trail.

Perched at the entrance near Bathurst St. and Queens Quay W., the sign is raising the ire of electric bike (or e-bike) users.

The ban is “inconsistent” with the shift to greener ways of travel, said Lock Hughes, treasurer of the Toronto Electric Riders Association, which represents users of electric two-wheelers.

He added that the ban on “motor power assisted bikes” is vague and can refer to anything from an e-bike to a scooter or Segway, which are all different sizes and speeds. E-bikes generally resemble conventional bicycles but with a small motor.

A city bylaw restricts the use of bike paths to bicycles, defined as vehicles operating solely on “muscular power,” Lukasz Pawlowski of Transportation Services said, adding staff are in discussions to rework the term.

“Right now, the definition of a bike is very strict so there’s no exceptions made for a bike like an e-bike,” he said.

When the bylaw came into place several years ago, people weren’t using electric two-wheelers, Pawlowski said. “It requires a more nuanced approach.”

Provincially, e-bikes are governed by the same rules as conventional bicycles. However, cities can pass bylaws limiting their use on bike paths and trails under their jurisdiction.

On Tuesday, a dozen cyclists rode past the Martin Goodman Trail sign without noticing it. They all said they’ve seen e-bikes and other motorized vehicles on the trail.

Andrew Le, who takes the trail about four times a week, said he’s happy with the ban. He’s had a few “close calls” with e-bikes.

“They’re faster so there’s just more weaving through traffic,” he said. “If you get hit by one, it’s no fun.”

Cameron Fitzgerald has “no problem” with e-bikes, which he has trouble distinguishing from conventional bikes.

For him, the city should focus on regulating bigger vehicles, like scooters, which can move at higher speeds.

“They look like a motorcycle to me,” he said. “They just don’t fit on the trail.”

Stephen Oldfield said he’s seen plenty of unsafe bicycle operation, but doesn’t want to target one group of trail users.

“The problem’s with the operator, not the vehicle.”

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Brompton Electric Folding Bike Reviewed (VIDEO)

The electric folding bike combines everything I love about getting places on a bicycle with everything I hate about cars, like having to pay for gas and parking. It also marries everything I love about getting places in a car with everything I hate about bicycles, like having to exercise.

While relatively cheap and super liberating in spurts, the custom-made motorized Brompton folding bike I tried out ended up being a little less convenient than I imagined, chiefly because it almost got me run over by a New York City taxi on my way back to NYCeWheels, a local e-Bike maker.

I charged it for an entire workday, but my bike's battery died as I was going uphill in Midtown East -- just as I was cutting across 5 open lanes of traffic to make a left turn (sounds dangerous, I know, but it's a fairly common move in New York). The bike sputtered and clanked to a stop as the juice gave out and the chain snapped in the middle of the street, jerking me forward against the handlebars. Luckily, I was able to pedal my bike, dead battery and broken chain and all, to the sidewalk, and avoid my untimely end.

Otherwise, I really liked my time on the electric bike!

I was certainly impressed by how compact the folding bike could become when collapsed, even with the motor attached. In about 30 seconds it went from full-sized bicycle to a portable form roughly the size of the bicycle's back tire. Though it weighs in at a relatively light 35 pounds, the folded electric bike was a little heavier than I liked, especially when carrying it upstairs. On flat ground, however, it can be rolled like wheeled luggage or carried like a heavy suitcase.

That convenience, however, didn't outweigh the danger the bike's battery death -- which occurred twice during the testing -- put me in. Apparently the charger had accidentally been set for European standards instead of American, which made it incapable of taking a meaningful charge. The battery actually died on me twice during testing.

On a full charge, however, the battery had no problem propelling me at top speed, without pedaling, for the full 10 miles between my apartment in Queens and the HuffPost office in downtown Manhattan. And on the plus side, the bike's chain breaking was much less exasperating and expensive to fix than a dead car battery.

Below, check out my full report on this top-of-the-line electric Brompton bike, including pricing, top speeds and how owning an electric bike is a little like a famous Mitch Hedberg joke:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was wondering too Motorized Bicycle rider. Is the motor driven wheel driven with a chain as well? I couldn't really see the pics on this PC

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
Engine Hacks: Riquimbilis, or: what we’d do if we couldn’t buy a car - Hack a Day
After the United States enacted a near-total economic embargo against Cuba in 1962, American export of Detroit Iron came to a halt. Since then, some Cubans have been lucky enough to own a classic Chevy or Buick. Soviet imports of Volgas stopped in the 1990s. With a dearth of any sort of motorized transport (and a public transport system that’s even worse than America’s), some Cubans went with the only reasonable solution: they built Rikimbilis, bicycles and engines hacked together into a moped.

Most rikimbilis are based around Chinese bicycles with a motor ‘obtained’ through ‘non-conventional means’. The exhaust can be fabricated from just about any metal tube available, and a plastic soda bottle is the gas tank of choice. Everything on these bikes is done for reasons of economy and availability, and the fuel efficiency is unbeatable with some rikinbilis getting 120 mpg.

Because they’re not especially safe, Riquimbilis are illegal in Cuba, but the police generally turn a blind eye to their use. Lately the Cuban government has begun cracking down on riquimbilis, but with not many cars to go around these machines of necessity will most likely continue plying Havana boulevards.
please note. some of the words are links in the article. so click the link @ the top of the post for more links that the article is talking about.

ad we thought some of us in the USA were trying to ride under the radar.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
this was found on neatorama.

more pictures on his page
www.jruiter.com/entry/moto-undone
At jruiter I.D. we want to re-set the definition of a motorbike stripping away historical attributes that make them so great. It’s hard to image a motorcycle without fancy paint, overpowered motors, exposed mechanical genius, and sweet exhaust tones.

Moto undone is pure generic transportation and by motorbike category definition it isn’t very cool.

There motorbike references are small and when someone is riding they are all you see. The bike almost disappears. The rider just floats along the streets silently.

Powered by a 1000w 48v electric hub motor, moto undone has a range of 90 miles or about 3 hours. All gauges and riding information, like speed and gps, is displayed through smart phones by downloadable apps.

On display at the GRAM, Grand Rapids Art Museum, september 21 – October 9, 2011

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That's funky.

Could rent out advertising space.
LOL. I am always trying to figure out how to get some one to pay me to ride

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Seeing a lot of articles about scooter crashes /fatality's and they seem to put Motorized Bicycles in with scooters. Mo-ped use increasing in East Iowa | TheGazette

See a bunch of young folks around here on scooters screwing around. Ya wanna cheer on kids having fun & being kids but real easy to get hurt at 20 or 30 MPH. Cops are starting to stop em.