Clutch won't engage

GoldenMotor.com

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
I've been reading on this site for quite awhile and have done a lot of research on my problem but I'm not confident that I have found my answer. I get pretty nervous when it comes to tearing into the engine guts in fear I won't be able to get it put back together.

My bike is pretty new, I was able to ride it for maybe 5 hours total before it stopped firing up. I've had a lot of minor problems but the one thing I can not figure out is getting the clutch to engage.

With the bike on a stand I can freely spin the drive chain with the clutch lever engage or disengaged.
When the bike was first assembled it was almost impossible to pedal it with the clutch lever engaged but now it doesn't matter what position it's in, the drive wheel spins freely.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just post a few more times, without links, then they know you're not a robot. which is funny, because a robot would know how to make it's clutch work. and it's an automated system you're dealing with that won't let you post links yet, so it's the pot calling the kettle black...

don't give up. someone here can help you.

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
I almost didn't bother with this forum for the same reason aturner. Good luck with your problem though. You could try removing your clutch cover (right hand side tear drop looking mofo) undo the little locking screw and then rotate the flower nut clockwise a 1/4 turn. With you clutch cover off just keep mucking around with it until it feels right.

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
Yeah it was frustrating to have typed it all out and then post it and get what I got. Basically I was referring to a link that I found on this site that explains how to tighten the clutch. I was just seeing if somebody could confirm that what I linked to would be the right thing to do.
Sure appreciate you guys pitchin in

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
I'll try one more time and see if I can't get it yet.
This is the thread I was referring to and was going to attempt this procedure first.

http://motorbicycling.com/f39/adjusting-clutchs-spring-more-tension-8392.html

You could try removing your clutch cover (right hand side tear drop looking mofo) undo the little locking screw and then rotate the flower nut clockwise a 1/4 turn.
I've read about the flower nut and I'm not sure what that is. Can anybody show me a picture of the locking screw and the flower nut?

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
So I got the clutch cover pulled off and when it came off this dude fell out on the ground.

It's obvious that it is suppose to be threaded on to the clutch assembly but I'm not sure how it's suppose to go. Is this the flower nut? If it is, it was completely unthreaded from where it was originally attached.

Now that I have it disassembled I'm having an extremely difficult time getting the cover back on because the spring is pushing out on the round plate that has the three holes in it. Any tips for this?

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
I think I got it. Sorry for all the multiple posts here.

I realized that the flower nut is suppose to be on the outside of the plate. Since it just fell out I had no direct reference to the way it was suppose to go. Thank God for that awesome animated diagram.

So I got it pretty tight and the clutch now engages and disengages properly or close to it!!!
I was really worried about this problem.

I just have to get my new intake ordered tomorrow and get some new gaskets and I should be back on the road.

Thanks for the help
Adam

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
There should be a small set screw that locks the flower nut in place. This will keep it from loosening and falling off.

FYI- We were all newbies at one time so don't take offense to my next comment. It is obvious from the earlier post that you don't yet have a full understanding of how the clutch works since you didn't know where the flower nut went and referred to it as 'this dude'. Believe me this is fine and have all been there. My advice would be not to mess with the internal clutch spring referenced above until you have a better understanding of the workings of the clutch. Honestly the internal spring is usually fine from the factory and messing with it (if you don't know whats going on) can open a can of worms.

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know jack about any of this stuff. That's why I posted here to find out my best approach to fix my problem before I made it much worse.

Now that you mention the set screw it's obvious that mine is not doing its job as it came completely unthreaded and fell off the shaft and I was able to put the flower nut back on with the screw in place

Looks like I need to find a replacement screw so I don't have to go through this again

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
I was thinking about it but wasn't sure since I may need to adjust in the future but now that you mention it I will go ahead and do it. The only screw I could find was a stainless steal allen head which works really well.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I'm pretty sure threadlock dosen't mean you can't unscrew the nut or bolt again when you want to, just makes it harder to do so but def. not impossible. Thats been my experience with what I use. I had a hard time finding a screw that would fit that thread myself out of the thousands of spare nuts and bolts I have as well. I ended up using one of the longer spare bolts that came with my kit and used a hack saw to cut it down to size. Also if the head sticks out to much it will rubb up against the cover. Watch for that cause it dosen't take much.

aturner

Sep 10, 2009
Topeka, KS
I actually bought one at the hardware store but I can't remember what the pitch was. Seems like it was an M4x6mm. It was a tad longer then the factory but it threaded in fine. I really like how the fatter allen head fit right in the flower nut groove.
Very satisfying job to get done. Been ridin like crazy since

gbboy9

Mar 14, 2016
Denver, CO
I don't think you are having any problems with your clutch. I think that your woodruff key is broken causing your bike to move freely with out engaging. A woodruff key is a small metal component that is on your crank shaft which connects to your small bevel gear. All the power of the engine is stressed on to the woodruff key and converted to the bevel gear. You may need to order a new woodruff key because the one you currently have is broken. You can find this at bikeberry.com. I hope this helped. Reply back if you need help installing a new woodruff key. cvlt1