2014 Bike Crash Comp...WEAR YOUR HELMETS!

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I noticed this compilation presented a fair and balanced viewpoint, in that you could plainly see that there were a few motorcyclists at fault as well as motorists. Wearing a helmet is half the battle. We also need to be observant, observable, and as predictable as we can be. The more oblivious and distracted the motorists are, the more invisible we bikers become. I'd say if you're not sure a motorist has seen you, pretend he didn't. But, as the video shows, we ourselves have to do our best to make sure we have seen all the motorists and other dangers which might be heading our way. And remember that each risk we take out on a road could be our last. The public thoroughfares are just not a healthy place to take risks.
It's a big job, going out onto the road these days. If you figure everybody's out to get you, just like they're all out to get each other, you might be able to make it to point "B" okay. (Being in an accident can make a guy really paranoid, ya know.)

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you live in an area in which the govt will put you in jail for not wearing a helmet, then you should wear one

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The problem with brain damage is that replacements are not yet available, therefore they should be kept in a safe place. I used to leave mine in the toolbox.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I always wear a DOT helmet when I ride, it's the law in California, but this compilation scared the you-know-what out of me. I had to stop watching before it was over. Were some of those crashes fatal? A few looked that way. One thing a lot of those accidents had in common were entering scenes at speed where other vehicles are stopped.

After watching this, I'm going to try and ride even more defensively. I already get nervous entering an intersection with a car in the opposing lane waiting to turn left, do they see me? I feel much safer being closely behind another car while entering lighted intersections.

Thanks kioshk for this sobering reminder that human bodies loose against heavy metallic objects every time.

Gilbert

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A. Treat everyone one on the roads as a homicidal maniac. B. Take a good look at yourself as well.

How am I feeling? Health is improving now the scurvy is fading. That was very strange.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
............I already get nervous entering an intersection with a car in the opposing lane waiting to turn left, do they see me? I feel much safer being closely behind another car while entering lighted intersections..........

Gilbert
Okay. And I'll bet you don't need this reminder.......but......just in case: Make certain that you are highly visible while you're following that car through the intersection. A car's 'shadow' can offer safety. That's true. But sometimes people in cars will try to dart right through that shadow.

On a related topic: If you're facing a left turning car who actually does have the space he needs to get across your line of travel safely, then watch out (really watch out) for the guy behind him.