About to install pedal chain but, shouls I?

GoldenMotor.com

85mario85

Mar 13, 2013
cali
Been running without the pedal chain and for some reason I think that if I add another chain, it will decrease the speed of my motor.
I have a stock sprocket for 7 speeds but the the thing in the back next to sprocket. Forgot what its called. Broke off on me. So the chain would go to the sprocket directly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why would you think the pedal side chain would effect your speed? I'm curious how you're starting your engine. Pull start? Steep hill?

Without pedals your bike can be seen as a motorcycle in some areas and if you ever have engine problems you'll have to push the bike home.

The part I think you're talking about is called a derailer, or if you prefer French, a derailleur. It's not 100% necessary. They make a device to replace it for converting a multi speed bike to a single speed. It is a spring loaded tensioner that has no provisions for derailing the chain to change sprockets on the cassett.

Tom

Last edited:

85mario85

Mar 13, 2013
cali
Why would you think the pedal side chain would effect your speed? I'm curious how you're starting your engine. Pull start? Steep hill?

Without pedals your bike can be seen as a motorcycle in some areas and if you ever have engine problems you'll have to push the bike home.

The part I think you're talking about is called a derailer, or in French, a deraillure, or something like that. It's not 100% necessary. They make a device to replace it for converting a multi speed bike to a single speed. It is a spring loaded tensioner that has no provisions for derailing the chain to change sprockets on the cassett.

Tom
Idk just thought there would be some kind of resistance but your seconf point make sense. It would suck in emergency situations.

Yeah I was thinking of putting a tensioner. Since chains tend to a stretch
Good looking out bro!

85mario85

Mar 13, 2013
cali
Im currently starting either downhill or pushh start with my feet haha. Works half of the time. Thw other half I look like a bafoon