Pirate Cycles

GoldenMotor.com

madfoodgrower

Apr 21, 2012
colorado springs
these guys need to hire anouther person to help run there biz . ordered from them about 2 months ago . took them over 2 weeks to send my china girl kit . only reason i ordered from them was on there site says guaranteed your china girl will be sent by the next day. i tryed everyday to get hold of them no answers from them untill 12 or 13 days passed. i put in a order for 2 day shipping . but it took 5 days to make it from cali to colorado so they took forever to get it too me then they pocket the extra money i spent on a fast delivery and sent it out normal ground . kinda lame to say the least.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Wow! Are you guys talking about fifty cents? Fifty cents! A dollar and fifty cents to send something from NY. to PA? The guy probably can't answer his phone because he's to busy counting his nickels to pay for his Lease,payroll,gas,electric,water,taxes,insurance,liability and inventory. Yes five dollars for a part that was unfortunately made half way around the world that you can not buy locally anywhere. Pirate Cycles and SBP have always been on a different ( extraordinary) level compared to others in my opinion.

By the way, just my opinion, They could raise the price of a postage stamp again and it would still be one of the greatest deals in the world.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Its about principles,not money. Either properly advertise what you're selling or at the very least,a few words somewhere saying "Parts may not match picture". Its really not that difficult. Oh,and if you want to defend SBP's honor,there's another thread already on that topic.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think Greybeard at one point said it pretty well..

My nickle,
We all get a little nervous when we lose contact, and don't get prompt calls, but we are not working with wallmart.
This is a niche market. There are vendors working out of shops at home. If they construct things, they can't put down the torch, or welder to answer the phone. Some have day jobs. When you are machining something, you need to watch the machine, not talk. When there are unfilled orders, the first priority is to get them filled.
I've spoken with several people who say they get 100+ e-mails a day. If they spend all the time with inquiries, they get nothing built, or shipped. I doubt that many can afford help just to answer the phone, the phone person would need to know their stuff, and even then, calls will go unanswered as some people tend not to get off the phone so they can answer yours. I wonder what % of the calls actually result in a sale of a product. I'd bet most are just dreamers wanting answers. Of course that makes us nervous when we can't get through.

I work in a repair shop where it is the same problem.. We frantically run as fast as we can. Shoot man I can't even spare a moment to use the crapper. It's that frantic !!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Wow! Are you guys talking about fifty cents? Fifty cents! A dollar and fifty cents to send something from NY. to PA? The guy probably can't answer his phone because he's to busy counting his nickels to pay for his Lease,payroll,gas,electric,water,taxes,insurance,liability and inventory. Yes five dollars for a part that was unfortunately made half way around the world that you can not buy locally anywhere. Pirate Cycles and SBP have always been on a different ( extraordinary) level compared to others in my opinion.

By the way, just my opinion, They could raise the price of a postage stamp again and it would still be one of the greatest deals in the world.
Its not about what the shipping cost. I have no problem paying $1.50 for priority shipping. Try and follow me for a sec. The shipping cost $1.50. In the box was a note saying that the box cost 5 times what the gasket did. Divide $1.50 by 5, and what do you get? $0.30. What did I pay for the gasket? $5. So if thats true, then I paid like 15 times what the gasket was worth. I understand that the company has to mark things up to make a profit, and I also know its not something I can buy locally. But why would you charge $5 for a $0.30 part and then rub it in my face? In fact, why would you put any kind of smartass note in a box you're sending to a customer? Because it was too much trouble for you to take 5 seconds out of your day to fill a small order because I didn't need to order anything else?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Its not about what the shipping cost. I have no problem paying $1.50 for priority shipping. Try and follow me for a sec. The shipping cost $1.50. In the box was a note saying that the box cost 5 times what the gasket did. Divide $1.50 by 5, and what do you get? $0.30. What did I pay for the gasket? $5. So if thats true, then I paid like 15 times what the gasket was worth. I understand that the company has to mark things up to make a profit, and I also know its not something I can buy locally. But why would you charge $5 for a $0.30 part and then rub it in my face? In fact, why would you put any kind of smartass note in a box you're sending to a customer? Because it was too much trouble for you to take 5 seconds out of your day to fill a small order because I didn't need to order anything else?
He's just upset he did not get a tootsie pop. lol:)

bogiebeau

Jun 3, 2012
Los Angeles
Glad I read this thread. I do have to agree on the advertising part. If you say something is what it is on your site.. then it should be. Especially with the shipping time. I ordered a Keg Tank from them over a month ago. On their site it says 'usually ships the next business day'. Then I get an email about my shipping and it says, 'takes 2-3 weeks for shipping'. Its been over a month now and I have called them a bunch of times but their message box is always full. Finally I emailed them last week and today.. but after reading this thread it seems like they dont have the time to read it anyway. Now, I just have to figure out how to get them to refund my $200 + shipping cost :-/ If i was aware (posted on their site) that it would have taken this long I wouldn't have bought it. I understand about small business' and what they have to do. But it just kinda sucks, cause Ive been waiting over a month with no information or anything.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Thats ****ed up.. Apparently all dealers suck. The only good service I can recommend is Duane and Thatsdax. He helped me a lot in Skype chat which is great!
No... They don't all suck, but it seems lately Pirate Cycles has been neglecting customer service or at least part of it. I hate to say it, but since I haven't been able to get a reply from them they have lost my business with them.

Yes they may be running around super busy, but that doesn't give them a pass to blow off the customers.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
ooooh haha. well he got a little *****y too with me because shipping took forever but all in all best service so far and the product was great and the prices are the best i know.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have only had outstanding experiences with Pirate Cycles.
Once with a MM hub adapter. I needed advice as I bought it used from another member and I wanted to be sure that it would fit a Shimano CB110 hub. It originally was purchased from Pirate.
I emailed them and they responded within one hour. They had no financial benefit from the experience, just good customer service.
The other time, quite recently, I purchased a Massload double kickstand. It took 5 days to get to me and was boxed up very well.

I am sad to hear that you guys have had bad experiences with them.
I wonder what is going on at their end?