New Recumbent Build

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have retired the Flying Dutchman as I don't like to sit on a regular bicycle seat. I have the most comfortable one that I can find and it still makes my back hurt after about 20 miles.
I am building a new frame from two Trek mountain bikes. It is going to be built from my Easy Racer plans with the seat following AD's seat, I believe it to be a Barnett seat, very comfortable. It is like sitting in a lawn chair.
I am going to use the HF 2.5 from the Dutchman and any other bits and pieces that will fit. I plan to make this a shifter bike if I can work it out. Anyone know the reduction for a shifter setup?
It will be similar to the picture below.That was my first motor bicycle with a homelite 33cc friction drive.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo

just found your new thread, but it needs more stitch`s when you get to it !! Lol.

By posting now i will get updates as the materialize! How do you like that for preplanning?? Ha ha

WHAT ARE YOU RIDING NOW??

later nabor, Ron.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
It is in progress. As soon as the frame is brazed up I'll post a pic. I have it about half done. I ain't riding, I am finishing my one and only's studio right now and she cannot wait to get into it and start painting pictures and so on. She is really O.K. about my hobbies and she has no place to do her thing with the paint and brushes so .

By posting now i will get updates as the materialize! How do you like that for preplanning?? Ha ha
You are always using your head Ron. Don't wear it out HaHa

By the way don't you have a shifter bike? What reduction ratio are you using? I am thinking about 18 to 1.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi elmo

my diy shifter bike is approx 18:1 in 5th gear. I`m thinking a 12 tooth count on the 5:1 reverse rotation gear box. That bmx chain going to a 48 tooth on the bottom bracket. Thinking it is a 24 tooth bottom bracket to a 34 tooth low gear on the rear wheel cassette.

But you will not be using the same gear box etc. With my size and weight the shifter is a real bonus and just lots more fun riding. 6th gear is nice for leisure crusing and down grades along with 7th gear.

I did puchase a 5 speed cassette with a 38 tooth low gear cog.

You can set up your jackshaft gearing to use a regular cassette possibly. When i see more of your frame, may have some suggestions. Will send you a pm.

Have fun. Is your lady going to paint a picture of the soothing view of your driveway? Just a thought, love that picture.

Ron

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have the frame fitted together and tacked. It is made from two Trek mountain bikes with chromoly frames and some chromo tubing that I have been saving. The whole frame is from chromoly tubing and is light. One of the bikes was a 13" frame so I was able to use the rear triangle intact. It will be very similar to this yellow bike but built with room for the HF 2.5 engine.

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The rear bottom bracket is going to be used for a jackshaft from Staton that was made for a Giant Stilletto.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Here is a mockup with wheels and engine. The second picture is to show how low it is. I have plans to use a zipper fairing made for a toureasy bicycle. I have one on my TE clone and it gives me a couple of mph cruise just peddling. I have hit 45 mph downhill with it no engine.

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I am getting closer to actually riding this bike. I borrowed the seat off my yellow bike and installed my brakes, 1 shifter, the zipper fairing (which is old and scarred up) and robbed the bottom bracket off my wifes mountain bike. As soon as i get the rear derailleur installed and shifting I will be able to pedal it around and see how it handles. I have a hill 0ne mile from home that I can hit 40 mph on the yellow pedal bike so should be able to tell if its stable at speed. The fairing will give me 2-3 mph at cruise on flat ground on my pedal bike so it should really help on a motor bike. I also plan to build an aero tailbox to help with the streamlining.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That fairing looks great.

I didn't realize they could ease enough resistance to get ya that much more MPH. Gonna have to try one some day. That and a bug free diet, lol

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
As a long time recumbent builder myself, I am anxiously following this thread. At first I thought you got the lines of the TE clone all wrong, but now that I see the HF 2.5 in place I get it. I have a HF 2.5 sitting in my workshop for over 2 years now waiting for the right project, and have many times thought about doing exactly what you are doing.

Here is my latest TE clone. I ended up trading this for another bike, so I no longer own it. One day I will build another, maybe with that HF 2.5?

Here is a pic of my latest build, it's front wheel drive. I think extend the wheelbase and put an engine behind (or under) the seat. But I would be concerned over the rear fork flexing too much.

Good luck with your build! I am following this thread.

Ed
atombikes

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Nice looking TE and it is yellow. The fwd bike looks good also. All my TE's have been yellow but this bike will have a red, white and blue paint job since it was born on the fourth of July. That is if I can figure out a decent paint scheme involving stars and stripes.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Hi Elmo, thought Id show you this, of course you might already have this in mind. Being an old lawn equip person I always use flat idlers cheap and plentiful. I saw this set up on the net last night, thought I would try it. It doesnt seem to add any noticable drag, and it frees up the lower tubes for a luggage shelf(or engine). The chains naturally run to the outside of the idler leaving about a 1/4" gap. Just got back form a 15mi test run and its doing great! I did trim the straps before I left.

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks Cannonball but will not work for my build. I am going to have a jackshaft in the rear bottom bracket with three sprockets on it. A 20t freewheel on the right side with the chain from the pedals on it and a twenty tooth solid sprocket going to the rear wheel. On the engine side I will have another freewheel sprocket with the chain from the transmission that I am trying to get from Staton. This is going to be a shifter bike.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Well got my jackshaft from staton installed today and will receive my 18.75-1 gearbox next week. In the meantime i have to fabricate a chain tensioner from a rear derailleur so I can shift between the three chainwheels up front.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I had some time today so I finished the pedal drivetrain. I added a modified rear derailleur to my front chain so that I can use all my gears. There are two freewheels on the jackshaft, one on the engine side and one hooked to my front pedal chain. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments