Inner Clutch Spring Tightening

GoldenMotor.com

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I want to point out first that Norman did a post like this before and I'm am doing this so I have a link to get to it to help people out.

I have read posts where people cannot get their motor running even though they have spark and it is getting fuel but they are encountering resistance and they motor will not kick over. This post is to help those of you out that are experiencing this problem and for those of you that have tightened the flower nut to the point where you have very little play in your clutch or you want more play and it being tighter.

Their are two ways to tighten the Inner clutch spring, the first is on the bike and the other is off the bike. I am going to tell you both way.

First you are going to have to remove you clutch cable from the clutch arm, Then you are going to have to remove the clutch cable from the Clutch guide you can see both in this pic.

Next you are going to have to remove the clutch guide and get an Allen wrench between an 1/8" and 3/16" and put it in that hole. Pic

You also put grease down that hole too. Lubricate the innards of the clutch.

Next make sure you spark plug is removed, and loosen the flower nut a little bit.

If you have the motor on the bike you can simply turn the rear wheel clockwise to tighten the inner clutch spring. (I don't have a pic of this one) You will notice that when you are turning the wheel the Allen wrench will grab on something (you want it to do that, that means it is catching the nut on the spring to tighten it), The tightness of the spring depends on how many revolutions the sprocket on the motor turns, a few times around should be good. It all depends on how tight you want the clutch.

If you Motor is off the bike or the chain is off you will need to do as above as far as removing the clutch cable and guide you will also need to remove the clutch cover.

You will need a pair of channel lock pliers or a pair of vise grips. In the pic I am using vice grips but the pliers are better. With the pliers grip in between the sprocket teeth and turn clockwise to tighten it just like before.

You will notice that you clutch is a lot tighter and you can now tighten or loosen the flower nut till you find a place where it is good for you.

You can reassemble you motor now.

Best of luck to everyone hope this helps you out.

Thanks again NORMAN for the post you did before don't want to steel your cred.

Last edited:

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
The nut holding the drive gear on is actually the same size as the spark plug. So you can use the spark plug tool there. And not risk rounding it with vice grips.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Sounds good - my only .02$ would be for a casual user is to choose a different holding tool - seems like that Torx bit could fall out of the holder and be stuck in the hole!
The bit wont go that far inside. If you look at manics diagram. you will see.

igore

Jun 21, 2009
oregon
My clutch seems too tight (the clutch lever is hard to pull) is there an adjustment for that???

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
make sure there are no hard bends in the clutch cable. When I first finished my build I had the excess cable coiled up, and it was really hard to pull. Re-routing it so it wasn't all bent made it much easier to pull.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
My clutch seems too tight (the clutch lever is hard to pull) is there an adjustment for that???
Yes their is, if after you checked your cable and their are no binds in it you can follow the instructions but instead of turning it clockwise to tighten it you turn it counterclockwise to loosen it. But only go a half a turn at a time because you will have to readjust the flower nut, and if you loosen it too much then you will have to tighten the flower nut too much and their will be no play in your clutch it will either catch or be loose when you squeeze the clutch handle a little bit.

Question how new is your motor and are you using the stock clutch handle. I just use an old brake lever the handle is alot longer but I cannot lock the clutch in the closed position I just a thick rubber band to do that.

igore

Jun 21, 2009
oregon
Yes their is, if after you checked your cable and their are no binds in it you can follow the instructions but instead of turning it clockwise to tighten it you turn it counterclockwise to loosen it. But only go a half a turn at a time because you will have to readjust the flower nut, and if you loosen it too much then you will have to tighten the flower nut too much and their will be no play in your clutch it will either catch or be loose when you squeeze the clutch handle a little bit.

Question how new is your motor and are you using the stock clutch handle. I just use an old brake lever the handle is alot longer but I cannot lock the clutch in the closed position I just a thick rubber band to do that.
thanks for your help I think Ill put a new (longer) clutch lever on.

One more question, should the clutch lever (on the motor) be loose???

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
thanks for your help I think Ill put a new (longer) clutch lever on.

One more question, should the clutch lever (on the motor) be loose???
The clutch arm hooks onto a rod with a flat spot on it. That flat spot is what pushes a pin in and that disengages the clutch, yes their is some movement but I tighten my clutch cable so that their is a little pressure on the pin so it is tight.

txlixard469

Feb 21, 2011
austin
Ay I'm having a problem with some grinding when i let off my clutch from a coast like goin down a hill I coast ,when I'm goin doin a long road, I coast sometimes I just coast . Anyway sometimes it sounds like a piece a metal shaving is goin thru somethin like a gear oh and it also sounds like somethin is to dry . I hope this in pic # 2 will help me can you please give me some advise PLEASE