My first build

GoldenMotor.com

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Poor thing was just sitting in the garage since I got my fixie, decided to motorize it. Needs new tires and a bath.

http://[URL=http://s12.photobucket.com/user/neiljgarrison/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150426_195248-1_zpssqgaos0r.jpg.html][/URL]

(update)
Description
The bike is a Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser.
Was a 21 gear now only 7.(being able to switch gears to gain speed for start is nice)
Engine is a 66cc fully balanced 2 stroke, starts easy and runs smooth.
(Complete kit is from Venice Motor Bikes)

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nice, clean looking build and good colors. It's a winner!

Now I see that you're pretty new. Have you been warned yet about the fenders? If not, then do a bit of reading on the subject. It'll pay off.

A brake up front is almost mandatory, too. I say 'almost' because we've got no right to give orders. But you want a front brake.

Have fun with that bike.

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Thanks bluegoatwoods, it's in the break in period but runs real smooth. Yes someone has mentioned the fender, im still reading up on it. Also ive got some really good back brakes that I've tested, stops on a dime.

.duh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very nice build, Neil. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Maybe I missed it if you said, but what frame is that?

I won't belabor the fender issue except to agree with those who have mentioned it previously. Use caution.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

tom

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Very nice build, Neil. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Maybe I missed it if you said, but what frame is that?

I won't belabor the fender issue except to agree with those who have mentioned it previously. Use caution.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

tom
Thanks Tom, and your absolutely i forgot right Ill add a description to my original posting.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Ditto & ditto on the fender. Front brake is almost a necessity --- use the rear if you'd like, but what if the pedal chain breaks or comes off? Result would be no brakes. Looks like a Huffy frame. Their coaster isn't real happy with the higher speeds of the motor. We aren't being 'downers', just wanna keep you safe as possible.

Your build does look very clean! Best of luck in your adventures!

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Ditto & ditto on the fender. Front brake is almost a necessity --- use the rear if you'd like, but what if the pedal chain breaks or comes off? Result would be no brakes. Looks like a Huffy frame. Their coaster isn't real happy with the higher speeds of the motor. We aren't being 'downers', just wanna keep you safe as possible.

Your build does look very clean! Best of luck in your adventures!
Constructive criticism says live, thanks for the advise, guess the fenders gotta go. I'm gonna order a duel brake lever tonight, two brakes are better than one. And I agree it does look like a huffy, it's a cheap schwinn so what can you expect. I'll keep an eye out for cracks before and after riding until I get a better bike.

Neil.shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Cheap Schwinn". Do you know the model? Some of the department store Schwinns can be very dependable bikes. The venerable Schwinn Jaguar, previously sold through Target stores is a heck of a good bike. I've built three, all still on the road and one of mine just topped 2000 miles with not a problem. The frame is solid and sturdy and there is no evidence of structural problems or weld failures.

The Jaguar was replaced by a couple of different names. Same bike but different color schemes. Some came with fenders, some didn't. Your frame looks exactly like a Jag.

Just because it was built in China doesn't make it a bad bike to motorize.

Tom

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
"Cheap Schwinn". Do you know the model? Some of the department store Schwinns can be very dependable bikes. The venerable Schwinn Jaguar, previously sold through Target stores is a heck of a good bike. I've built three, all still on the road and one of mine just topped 2000 miles with not a problem. The frame is solid and sturdy and there is no evidence of structural problems or weld failures.

The Jaguar was replaced by a couple of different names. Same bike but different color schemes. Some came with fenders, some didn't. Your frame looks exactly like a Jag.

Just because it was built in China doesn't make it a bad bike to motorize.

Tom
I got it from the Walmart website. Said it was a "Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser". I noticed it had a similar frame look as a huffy before i got it. Figured the Schwinn would be suffice for what i wanted it for. Didn't think Id ever motorize it. 5 years solid with quite a bit of miles, road it daily to the gym, four miles T&B easy. Plus a year of sitting in my garage, even the tires are still good, just a little burnt and dingy. But I'm still gonna watch for cracks and such during my pre and post ride inspections to be safe.

Neil

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If memory serves me the "Point Beach' was an aluminum frame bike. There have been many successful builds using that bike but keep a watch on the frame, especially around the engine mounting areas. Loose engine mounts can compromise the aluminum and cause structural failure. I don't recall ever hearing of this problem on the 'Point Beach' but keep an eye on your mounts just to be safe. Any signs of chafing due to vibration should be addressed quickly.

Tom

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
Hi everyone, I was feeling some time ago that I couldn't just slap an engine kit on a 5yr old bike and expect it be anything really special or long lasting, so I decided to strip it down to nothing but pieces for maintenance. During so I decided I should repaint it for its new transfornation. I grinded down the crank cover edge so the chain doesn't grind no more cleaned and regreased all the bike bearings and I loctited every bolt I could with the appropriate strengths and now its solid and true. Sounds and rides way better than the prototype. I was able to take a break in ride today am snapped a shot of her.

I present to you all "Spaceballs One: The Motorbicycle"
[URL="