Briggs idea for a BTR "if I put in wrong place lmk"

GoldenMotor.com

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
Been thinking about one of these engines for a BTR build. Engines look so good, not cheap but close to period correct. I love the kick start as well. Only around 3-4 hp but that's plenty with right gearing. Here is a video of one as well.

http://youtu.be/4OG52BpA4xg

Anyone know of anybody using one on a build? Love to see one mounted up on a replica BTR.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I would get rid of fuel tank mounted under engine. I'd go with a brass style early 20s brass carb, ditch fan shroud and make a cleaner version of the kick starter.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I've never saw that! That's AWSOME though. I've been reading about people building there own engines, I'm personally not that "bright" but I got some buddies that are damn good machinist. I'm a try to work out something. I love the old BTR builds but the engines alway look outta place. That's why I like the old FH Briggs. But ya right prolly not hold up to haulin my butt around town. They do sound good though.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I like the "Y" Briggs but the exposed rocker is the look. Like i said I know the power to weight ratio is low but they look so damn good, and fit the theme of a BTR build to a T with a motorized bike build.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Why not! If you want the period correct Btr look it will look the part. I would never ride a Btr any distance anyway ...they are very uncomfortable to me. You can always build another bike for speed.and.distance. Go for it!

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I'm still on the hunt for a FH Briggs. They just look so damn good. I love watching the you tube video i posted, so smooth and sound great.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I say go for it, too. Great looking and sounding putt putt motorbike. Drop the plans on this build for the fast, racer look and go with the early motorcycle look instead. Just as authentic and more like what was actually seen back when being ridden around on by average people like you and me. I like the motor. It would be good to know the actual horsepower and rpm range, probably pretty low, but might have a lot of grunt. Not that I know anything about these, just guessing. Love the kickstart. So sweet!
SB

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The FH model Briggs & Stratton was only 1/2 horsepower.

You will need 10:1 or more overall drive ratio to make it work. Definitely not a racer.

Nice engine though.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh. 1/2 hsp. eh? Enough to run a washing machine, I guess. Maybe something like cannonball2'a maytag mayhem build. That's cool, too. He's given his a 3 speed IGH transmission to stretch out the horsepower, or should we say "pony power".
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
One thing about the old Briggs is the hp was with the old carbs, not much there. And could be boosted with a better carb. I have a model I and the carb is the same size as a later 3 hp. It has a 3/4" outlet going into the intake but the block has a 1/2" hole. If you open it up it may just about double the hp. I took a rotary file to mine and will see what happens when I get to building. And maybe even shave the head a little,they were made to wash clothes at steady speed.

Years ago they used to run them 5/8 hp ones in frame with belt going back to car generator with the bottom cut out for friction drive. And no problem going 20 mph,I found one a year ago and will be restoring it .............Curt