Guys...I need your help!!!!!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Guys

Is it possible that when I installed my new 18lb valve springs and set the lash that I was not paying attention and it was not at TDC? Is that something that could be causing my issue????

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
sounds ta me like your answering your own questions but you don't like , or just don't want to , hear that answer .... I would guess that (just maybe ) you might not have been paying 'close enough' attention and things might have 'slipped' away on you .... for what it's worth just give it a try .....

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Mike if you set the valve lash on the wrong spot on the cam the lash would be too wide not tight so that's not the problem, how hard are the valve springs to turn by hand? If you can turn the retainer easyly by hand with the valve closed the spring tension is wrong. I know we are throwing lot of info at you but keep trying.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna keep at it. Just a lot of info to take in. I'm just confused on turning the crank out 180 degrees. I guess I'm just so fixated on everything else. If my timing key is in the shaft, flywheel can only go on one way, timing marks are lined up, I have spark and fuel, rods are in lifters....just confused. Sorry to sound stupid but I'm still fairly new at this. This is why I come here....to learn....

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
One of the easiest way to get tdc is to remove the spark plug and put your finger over the hole and turn the engine over till it blows your finger off or you hear compression escaping. Now look at the timing marks and see where they are. I don't know if the engine is a clearance design or not, a clearance engine is designed so the valves will not hit the piston if it jumps time. A lot of the small four cylinder engines that use a timing belt are this design. If you were anywhere close to me I'd loan you my compression tester!

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Ok guys...I have the engine with me at work. I tried everything under the sun last night until the late hours and still did not crank. So, I brought it with me to work where I have good lighting and a bench to work on and tons of tools. I have disassembled the engine and am going to start over. I have the flywheel off, timing key is in the shaft, I removed the cam, lifters, rods, and spark plug. The piston is at TDC. I have put the lifters back in. NOW...I should put the camshaft back in making sure the timing marks are lined up, correct? THEN, install the rods making sure they are seated in the lifters, correct? NEXT...making sure I do not move from TDC I should put the rockers and jam nuts on and set the lash between .004-.006...correct? THEN...install flywheel, cup, side cover, correct? I believe we have a compression gauge here so I will be able to check that.

If there is anything I have missed or you guys can think of, please let me know. Sorry for sounding dumb, but I am still learning. Hopefully this go around it will work....

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
check the head for leaks, pour a little gas in the ports and look for seepage. if they leak lap them till they seal.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
That's the thing....I have no idea. I brought it into work yesterday while no one was there. That way I had no distractions. Tear the whole motor down. Cleaned, checked, installed everything back. Installed all new gaskets and a new spark plug. Thoroughly cleaned the carb. Bought brand new gas. Checked, double checked, and rechecked the lash and coil gap. She fired up 2nd pull..........lol. So, I really don't know. Glad I didn't give up though!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It was prolly just 180 degrees off. The crank turns two turns to the cams one turn. so if its not right it will fire twice and not on TDC It the same on a car if you get 180 off it will not run right,or not at all. Glad you got it running. Now back to the bike?............Curt

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Can someone explain the being off 180 degrees? If the timing marks are lined up, how is it off? I guess a better question is...how many turns/strokes of the crank/piston go around before the timing marks line up again? Every single time I did it, the piston was at TDC.....

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
180deg its not... that coil fires every time the magnets pass by. its called a wasted spark system. thats why old harleys blow flames out the exhaust. you get the spark at tdc +or-- and a wasted one at 180+or- old time simple

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Glad to hear you stuck with it and conquered that mofo!

That just seems much more satisfying than buying a whole new engine. You have a much stronger connection to that motor now, perhaps a deeper connection than you would care for. But I think it will pay off in the end to have a deeper understanding of the workings of your machine.

That's one thing I really enjoy about this hobby. The motorbikes we make are generally home-made (my friend Bob calls our bikes "ho-peds", home-made mopeds), so the creator has a very detailed knowledge of the specific components of the motor, drive-train, suspension, brakes, and wheelset of that machine. If it stops working, the builder generally knows or figures out why, and fixes it himself. That's just really appealing to me.

It does bother me though, to not know the actual cause of the non-starting of your engine in the first place. It must have been related to the first rebuilding of the engine, but what? I just like to know the answer to the mystery.

I guess it will just have to stay a mystery.

Happy Riding,

Gilbert