Huffy Millinnial 29" Cruiser Build

GoldenMotor.com

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
Hello I am new to this forum and new to building bikes. I was wonder what all mods will I have to do to the onyx cruiser to get it driving. Should I use the onyx cruiser or should I build a different bike. I am trying to complete this as cheap as possible. This bike will be used for transportation on flat surfaces on dirt roads and paved roads.

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
Re: Onyx cruiser bike

I have looked at what I believe is all the builds on this bike and was wondering will I have to change the wheels and handlebars to go with a Chinese engine kit. Should I look around for a different bike. I want a bike under $200 and would prefer 29 for the smoother ride but I will go with a 26 if needed.

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN

I have looked at what I believe is all the builds on this bike and was wondering will I have to change the wheels and handlebars to go with a Chinese engine kit. Should I look around for a different bike. I want a bike under $200 and would prefer 29 for the smoother ride but I will go with a 26 if needed.
The onex is my first build also. I am finding it quite challenging. 48 spokes forces you use a rag joint and miss each third hole .... or get an adapter ...

... its an expensive build .... the cheapest onex build I have seen is with a friction drive.

... Huffy has a nice steel frame 29 with 36 spokes ..... which makes it a cheaper build and it is a cheaper bike too ... ($125) .... and its steel frame will allow you to fasten a chain tensioner more inexpensively .... handle bars are 1 inch which forces you to find thinner handle bars and a shim ...

handle bar size on the huffy 7/8ths I believe .... and will be the right size for your chineese kit

Go with Huffy .... steel is more forgiving than aluminum and probably a stronger frame than the onex

... I am sticking with the onex because I like its shape .... but I will have over 2 grand in this build .....

Last edited:

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida

Thanks for the reply I think I will go with the huffy millennial because it seems easier to build for a first bike and a little safer with the metal frame. I'm only building this bike so I have something I can take on public roads to get to and from places because I don't have a liscence yet.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia

Be sure and check all local laws, here in Ga we have to have a valid licence to operate a m/b.

Jun 2, 2014
Springfield, IL

FYI--Walmart also has a 29er Mongoose for only $99 Link:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mongoo...gMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

But only in select stores, hopefully they may have it in your area, or if you know someone who works there, maybe they can talk to a manager and get you one. This would be good cuz it has real brakes. The Onex (as spelled on the bikes) with the 48 spoke wheels and coaster brake only will be a challenge. I'm in the middle of one of the Onex 29er's now and it's challenging, and because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, expensive.
In the future I'll be looking for something multi-speed with real brakes so I don't have to add anything, just put the engine on and go! I'm not giving up on the onex though, it's a decent bike, and will be a great looking and great running machine once I'm done with it.
Follow my build thread:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=55754
Good luck with your project!
Peace and happy motoring!

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida

Well I bought the huffy millennial today from Walmart. Figured it would be a cheaper build than the onyx and is practically the same style bike. I think I will have to modify the fenders to get the chain to fit and re enforce the seat post so the engine doesn't brake it. Pictures to come.
My county has auctions every month with tons of bikes in it and they sell them for a dollar a piece, so when the next one comes I'll have parts for brakes and maybe new forks and other stuff. If your wondering y I didn't just get one of those bikes it's because there usually scratched up bad and are broken or missing parts.

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
Re: Huffy millennial 29" cruiser build

Today I started working on it and getting it ready for the engine by adding a brake to the front. I used parts of junk bikes in my yard. It stops good and just needs some adjusting and maybe a new cable. I've seen on here that it is a good idea to reinforce the seat post because engine vibrations can crack it but on my bike there is screws that don't allow me to put in a second tube. Is this really needed or jut a good idea to have.
Also if someone can aid me in finding how to post pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida

Here's the brake. The blue is just tape to prevent me from scratching the bike.

Also how do I do I change the name of the topic?

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
Yes I am a jr. Drag racer and have been since I was 9. My whole family races and runs a race team called Hutson racing. Right now we only have 3 cars 2 dragsters and a raced out 1972 cuda. This is one of our many fuel jugs of different fuels for our cars since none of them run normal gas and all have different fuels.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you have pictures you want to share start a thread in the tavern section, I my self like all forms of motorsports.

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
Ok quick update on the build. My shipment that contains my engine kit will be in Monday. The brakes that I have installed are squealing and I think it's because the pads are very old so I will be buying new pads soon. Also what can I do to prevent the one side pad rubbing all the time.

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida
I am already looking for some performance upgrades for this bike what should I so first.
I'm thinking about doing a new exhaust and carb to get it to breath better and make it easier to tune. I have 2 choices on exhaust. Which do you guys think will be better.

Also I have looked around for a nt carb and there's a few that say nt. I have seen a skyhawk nt, a regular nt, and I have seen a nt generation 2. What is the difference between all these and which would be best?

Speedfreak241

Jun 22, 2014
Florida

I found another one I could afford. I've been reading the topics on header length before the expansion chamber and how it changes the power band. Would this be a better option.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
What works on my bikes is a short head pipe like the second pipe is a top end pipe, the first and third with the longer head pipe should give better low end. I have a pipe I built myself, after trying different head pipe lengths I found a 16" head pipe gave me more power through out the use able range of both my 48cc engines and the 66cc I've been working on. Which carb is coming with the kit you ordered? The last two of mine came with the nt. Don't spend your money on the so called performance carb you see on eBay, its a CNS with the plastic spacer in the carb to bushing it down to the intake. The first five kits I bought came with the CNS, its OK but no better than the nt.