Carb leaking, fast.

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Hey everyone, I have this bike it's leaking out of all the holes shown in this picture. The leak will continue to leak until the gas tank is empty if I would let it. It just now started doing this all of a sudden. It has also been riding very funny lately, no power when I throttle, I have to turn the petcock on and off to keep it running, I guess something is flooding. but it can eventually get to speed.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? It is a recent thing.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It could be a number of things.
1. Dirt or some sort of debris has found it's way into the carb and jammed up the float valve. The float valve cannot properly close and stop the flow of fuel into the float bowl when debris gets in between the valve's needle and seat.
Are you using an in line fuel filter? They are a necessity to help prevent this issue.
2. The float has become stuck on the pivot pin or somehow gotten wedged in the open position inside the float bowl.
3. The float has developed a pinhole and has taken on fuel. The float cannot float if it is weighed down by fuel inside of it. Just like a boat that has taken on water.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I have figured out the cause of the leak. It appears that the float serves as a switch of sorts to shut off the incoming fuel. I finally caved in and removed the float then proceeded to remove the "needle" under the "tang" I looked in the hole that was left and sure enough there was a rather large piece of debris in the way of progress. one little piece of dirt caused the huge leak.

I would like to suggest to anyone with any problems regarding a CNS v.i-iii to check out this well written thread. Much advice in here.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32736&highlight=CNS+Carb

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations! I am glad to hear that you got it all fixed.
So it was in fact suspicion #1.
Just be sure to use an in line fuel filter to help prevent the same problem in the future.
That thread you listed is a good one for sure!
Ride safe!