question about battery overload?

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have two 36v motors I want to run at the same time from one battery source. They are not matched motors, so I have two controllers and two throttles, but I am going to attach them to the same SLA battery pack.

Has anyone done this and if so what was the result.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well since no one seemed to know in time. I just put different sized fuses on each circuit and I'm going to try it tomorrow.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
my back might be good enough to test it this week. I got a pocket full of fuses so I shouldn't blow anything but I might melt the cables to the battery if it pulls the combined amps through them.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
my back might be good enough to test it this week. I got a pocket full of fuses so I shouldn't blow anything but I might melt the cables to the battery if it pulls the combined amps through them.
Sounds like dangerous territory. The batteries themselves are only designed for a certain amount of amp flow discharge, not just the cables that you worry about. The combined fuse rating should be less than the battery spec max load, imo.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That was my other fear. But i think i will use both motors at the same time only on monster hills. The thing about electric, that I like and hate, is it only flows when you tell it to. I don't have to use both circuits at the same time. What happens when I do is anyone's guess. But I promise I will let you know sometime this week.

Frankly I'm not worried about some last year's batteries, I'm worried about the controllers and motors.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That was my other fear. But i think i will use both motors at the same time only on monster hills. The thing about electric, that I like and hate, is it only flows when you tell it to. I don't have to use both circuits at the same time. What happens when I do is anyone's guess. But I promise I will let you know sometime this week.

Frankly I'm not worried about some last year's batteries, I'm worried about the controllers and motors. oh yeah one motor is 800 watts one is 350 watts.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Its ok you can do it. That's not enough watts to worry about. Of course the more juice you use the faster they go dead that's all. I wouldn't worry about it unless you were using 2000w or more. You should get about 10 batteries and run them both at 120v just to see what happen(^)

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Ok. If you draw too many amps you will get more voltage sag which will result in lower speed and one or both controllers shutting off because they will think battery is too low time to shut off.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That could explain the extremely poor performance of the low watt hub motor I was trying to use with the hight watt friction drive. I had to give up on it just too much trouble for the small increase in power.