Almost new motor won't start

GoldenMotor.com

duanemyers

Jul 7, 2013
Washington State
My bike motor won't start. It only has 65 miles on it. I checked the obvious things. There is gas in the carb, there is spark at the spark plug. Clutch seems to be working as it should. Not only does it not start, but now it's backfiring when I try to start it. Any suggestions?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Don't forget to flick the kill switch a few times. Try starting without rolling the throttle and with the choke off.

If that doesn't work then wait for more expert advice.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
As Chaz says, push the kill switch while trying to start. Did you take the magneto rotor out? If you put the magneto rotor in backwards, it can cause a no start condition or backfiring. It might have been installed at the factory wrong:( Also, make sure you don't have the choke on.

Here's a couple no-start guides:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/2 cycle engine trouble shooting guide.html

Here's a guide from Grubee on magnetos and how to properly install the magneto rotor:
http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/Magneto Mystery.html

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you were using 16:1 like the "instructions" say, your plug may be fouled.

Switch to 32:1 and clean or replace the plug and see.

duanemyers

Jul 7, 2013
Washington State
Thank you for all your suggestions.

Replaced spark plug, still doesn't start.
Disconnected kill switch, still no luck.
Haven't taken the rotor out. It ran yesterday but not now.
Have tried starting with no choke, 1/2 choke, full choke, no luck.
The backfiring seems to have stopped but still doesn't start.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is the possibility that you've sheered the woodruff key on the magneto rotor and your timing is way off. Remove the left side cover and see if the keyway in the rotor (magnet) lines up with the one in the crankshaft. With the piston at TDC (top dead center) the keyway should be at the 1 o'clock position on the crank and rotor.
Let us know what you find.

tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
There is the possibility that you've sheered the woodruff key on the magneto rotor and your timing is way off. Remove the left side cover and see if the keyway in the rotor (magnet) lines up with the one in the crankshaft. With the piston at TDC (top dead center) the keyway should be at the 1 o'clock position on the crank and rotor.
Let us know what you find.

tom
Ditto.............

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
You said 65 miles on break-in. Well have checked the head to see if needs to retorqued? It's definitely that time by my experience. If you're losing compression it will not start .

duanemyers

Jul 7, 2013
Washington State
Huffydavidson,
Yes, I have re-checked all nuts, bolts, and screws. Everything is nice and tight.

Last thing I did yesterday was to try and start it without the muffler, thinking it may be clogged. No luck.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Get a section of car wire with the boot on it. Unscrew your wire from the cdi box (It might be glued and require careful digging out) and replace it with the car wire and boot. Just be careful not to break or damage the screw post in the cdi box and it is an easy upgrade.

Last edited:

duanemyers

Jul 7, 2013
Washington State
I'm sorry to say the new plugwire & boot didn't fix the problem. It still won't start. Here is a list of things I've tried-

DISCONNECTED KILL SWITCH
CHECKED THROTTLE OPERATION
CHECKED CLUTCH LEVER OPERATION
FUEL FLOW FROM PETCOCK IS GOOD
BLACK & BLUE WIRES FROM COIL TO MAGNETO ARE SOLDERED AND SECURE
TIGHTENED ALL NUTS, BOLTS, SCREWS
REMOVED/CLEANED/REPLACED CARB, NO SIGN OF DIRT OR WATER
CHECKED AIR FILTER
SPARK FROM SPARK PLUG IS GOOD
NEW NGK SPARK PLUG
NEW PLUG WIRE
TRIED TO START WITHOUT MUFFLER
ADJUSTED CLUTCH ARM TIGHTER/LOOSER
TIMING:
-AT TDC, ROTOR CUTOUTS ARE AT 12 & 6 O’CLOCK
-SHEAR PIN IS INTACT AND AT 1 O’CLOCK

Anybody have any more ideas?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
check head bolts are tight, then maybe try putting some gas in an old windex bottle & squirting into the card with the filter off

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
check head bolts are tight, then maybe try putting some gas in an old windex bottle & squirting into the card with the filter off
Or remove the spark plug and spray into the cylinder head.

If that don't work, then look at my first post and with a DMM, check the Ohm values of the CDI and magneto coil. The spark may be weak and may not be able to fire under compression.

Resolder the small unshielded wire on the coil magneto. Sometimes they look good, but might be a cold solder connection.

Make sure no wires are touching the frame.

If your getting gas and spark, you should be getting fire.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

duanemyers

Jul 7, 2013
Washington State
sboricic123,
I've done that, too. LOL According to testing with an ohm meter, the magneto is bad. I've ordered a new one, should be here in a few days. I will let the group know if that fixes the no start problem or not.