New Lifan 152F-3Q from Home Depot

GoldenMotor.com

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
D@mn,that sucks. I guess that means more research in order to remove the governer when the time comes. Thanks BBB.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey Otto! I think youll find that it really is a flathead under all that stuff; and Home Despot is really screwed up with what they dont know their selling. Read through this one. Post 23 has a pic with the head off. PS: yes; 97cc but way less compression than a OHC or OHV motor. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42475 heres what they look like if you mess with them enough! http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43336
This 152Q3 is alot different then the original152At first they look identical from the pullstart side and then...The plug is in the front and the exhaust outlet is moved forward also the oil sensor is mover to the othe side of the block.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Well, the plot thickens. I went out in the garage to take some photos of what appears to be the OHV valve cover. Perhaps it is a flathead as there appears to be a cable coming out of the cover.

Here is something else that was just discovered. There is a sticker on the lower part of the shroud that states the displacement is 79.5cc, not 97.7cc. Looks like Home Depot is selling a pig-in-a-poke. I will be contacting them about this as their site claims it is 97.7cc displacement. It doesn't mean I won't keep it, but am going to try to get an adjustment.

I do plan on stripping the fuel tank, etc. off to see what is really there.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I see only 5 images per post, so here is more info. I thought I posted the previous post earlier.

Here are a couple more shots that show some of the inconsistencies. I did talk to Home Depot, and we should have some result tomorrow. We're discussing me keeping the engine, and they offering a reimbursement of some amount, to be determined.

I believe Velodrome is correct in that Home Depot doen't have a clue as to what they are selling. Hopefully, they will offer a decent discount tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Lifan USA only has the 97.7cc engine and is listed as a LF152F-3:
http://www.lifanpowerusa.com/engines/2-5mhp/

Lifan Power from China has the 152F-3 listed as a 79.5cc engine:
http://www.lifan.com/English/Industry/content.html?d57566ab-baec-490b-935b-57f8933f0169

Lifan Power from China has the 152F listed as a 97.7cc engine:
http://www.lifan.com/English/Industry/content.html?6797df48-8fc7-471c-875a-e1c97df61949

I didn't find any information on the 152F-3Q. Evidently Q refers to a 15mm shaft on the 152F, per Lifan USA.

Here's a PDF from Lifan USA explaining the codes:
http://www.lifanpowerusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Engine-Spec-Sheet-Website.pdf

Could be a screw up with LIfan USA and Lifan China. I wouldn't put it on Home Depot since they are only the retailer.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
:rolleyes: I'm confused :( So its not Home Depots buisness to know what it is they are selling? Thats like ordering a washer, getting a freezer and blaming Maytag...

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
:rolleyes: I'm confused :( So its not Home Depots buisness to know what it is they are selling? Thats like ordering a washer, getting a freezer and blaming Maytag...
I told my wife this new top loader was not working right.Clothes are stiff and cold hmmmm.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Let's face it, we like to complain about cheap quality from harbor freight, but home depot isn't much better. Right before Christmas my shop light light went out. I bought a fancy high intensity 4 lamp fluorescent fixture from homo depot. It was the most expensive one they had. Took it home and installed it, only to find it would only fire 2 of the 4 lamps. Took it back and exchanged it for another one. Guess what, it only fired 2 of the 4 lamps. Took it back and exchanged for the last one they had. Only fired 2 of the 4 lamps. Took it back and now exchanged it for the cheapest one they had and it worked fine.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Just got off the phone with Equipsource (Lifan Power USA), and Home Depot.

I spoke with the vendor of the engine per Home Depot's advice. According to Dan at LPUSA, there are no more 99.7cc side valve engines available, and has been superseded with the 79.5cc OHV engine. This engine has the same bore with a shorter stroke than the 99.7cc version to accommodate the overhead valves. According to him, this is a better, more reliable, engine than the side valve engine. He also says that this engine puts out the same power as the side valve engine did/does. I asked about the Aug 2011 mfg. date, and he said that they are also better than the newer 2012 engines as there were more EPA changes to them so he bought 500 of the 2011 engines. He didn't try to pressure me into keeping this engine, and understood if I wanted to return it to Home Depot.

I then spoke to Home Depot to report my findings. I explained to them that, according to their website, I thought I was buying a 97.7cc side valve engine for the price stated, and that I wound up with a smaller engine at that price. I also mentioned that an engine of that size can be had for $80 with coupon. They initially offered me 10% off if I wanted to return the engine to a Home Depot store, and re-order. I explained again about being able to buy an equivalent engine for $80, and they then offered me a $39.99 e-gift card that I could use to reduce my cost of this engine. I need to go to a Home Depot store and have them credit my card with the value of the e-gift card. In essence I will be getting the Lifan engine for $79.01, the same as the HF 79cc engine. I think I can live with that deal, and I'll keep this engine for my Cranbrook build.

I was about ready to throw in the towel, and just return it and buy an HS 49cc kit, but realized I would be paying an awful lot for the accessories. I will want to upgrade what comes in the kit anyway, so I think it makes sense to buy the components I want instead.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Thanks to Otto, we now know the engine Home Depot is selling is 79cc.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey Otto. If you still want the 97cc flathead like mine and Motomag's keep an eye on Craigslist. Search for Baja, Doodlebug and of course lifan. Or just minibike motor. Thats how I found mine and it was about $60 with a max torque clutch included.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Hey Otto. If you still want the 97cc flathead like mine and Motomag's keep an eye on Craigslist. Search for Baja, Doodlebug and of course lifan. Or just minibike motor. Thats how I found mine and it was about $60 with a max torque clutch included.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out.

Home Depot did come through with a $40 refund. I can't complain about that. Got the Lifan with a 3 year warranty for $79 plus tax. I told them I would buy another if they did the same deal, but they wouldn't go for that.

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
I got the exact same Craigslist deal as Velodrome on the same motor/clutch with 1 hour run time.
The guy needed more power and put a bigger motor on his minibike.

Last edited: