Stuck on possible electric issue

GoldenMotor.com

Shred_cred

Mar 7, 2012
Vancouver
Ok so I'm not sure exactly how it started but a few months ago my engine was bogged slightly at about 80% power. Then my clutch bearings blew out. My drive train seized up and my bike was jammed. I let it sit for a few months until I replaced the clutch bearings.

Now that I've fixed that, I think I have an electrical problem. I'm certain I get compression because I roll around in neutral and when I drop the clutch and hear the bop-bop-bop as the engine turns over. It even fired once but only once.

So I replaced the CDI ignition and got a NGK "BH6" :confused: spark plug and still no firing. Fuel is fine and I can't see why it wouldn't be getting air... So of course the elusive electrical system. I cut the white wire off the magneto because some people said that it's the kill wire and may interupt the flow.

I also thought maybe the magneto timing was off but it's directly attached to the drivetrain so I don't see how it would have shifted. The magnet rotor still appears to line up at tdc

Any ideas?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When the motor is TDC the key on the magnito should be at 2:00.

Since you bike sat for so long it's possible the float bowl dried out, Try removing the carb and cleaning the jet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree. The carburetor might be fouled. Clean it out.
Did you dump the fuel that sat in the tank while the bike was setting?
2 stroke fuel/oil mix has a short shelf life. Try some new gasoline and mix it 32:1.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I took the carb apart and it looked fine. Still fed fuel into the fuel bowl. And it's only been sitting for 3 months indoors
Getting fuel into the float bowl isn't the problem, it's getting the fuel out. Usually the jet gets plugged up from sitting.

Squirt carb cleaner through the jet, to make sure it's clear.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Could be the spark plug wire if it's stock. Never had luck with them, had two of them just basically fall apart going down the road. Check and make sure theres a copper piece in the cap (at the top) where you plug spark plug into. I'm gonna try my luck with a plug wire I got off a lawn mower. Check out Al.Fisherman store too, he has a nice plug wire to offer.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
A far fetched notion but Ive seen it" when you changed the plug did you make sure the guts in the boot didn't stay on the old plug?
every time I pull off my plug boot the clasp and copper connector stay on the plug

"Belay me last" I just read up stream , someone already said this in a similar manner & I cant delete the post

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Again.... I already mentioned I replaced the CDI. That includes the spark plug cap

I'm going with a new magneto
He didn't mention the CDI or plug or cap " HE SAID THE WIRE"!!! My stock wire broke inside. Couldn't see it, she wouldn't start for days I replaced the "WIRE" and fired right up. Sure glad I checked that before buying a new Mag. Even though you may get a slight spark outside the chamber w/a cracked wire "as someone else mentioned in a prior post " under cylinder pressure it doesn't spark.. Just hate to see you spend it on stuff you don't need... but hey never hurts to have extra parts .do yourself a favor & Replace the WIRE

Shred_cred

Mar 7, 2012
Vancouver
The CDI comes with a brand new wire.... Think of it this way. I started at the cylinder and worked my way back. New plug. New cap including the wire and CDI.

You're just listing things people or myself have already mentioned

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Perhaps it got deleted, but I saw no mention of a new wire that I read.
Sorry If i repeated stuff you already tried .

Last edited:

Shred_cred

Mar 7, 2012
Vancouver
It's cool you didn't realize. But yea the CDI comes with new spark plug cap and wire or boot and guts as someone mentioned. I bought a recommend spark plug so I was just hoping someone would confirm my suspicions that it was in fact the magneto coil. Because that is the last of the electrical components

Last edited: