Who here would like to see tuned 'Crate' motors For sale?

GoldenMotor.com

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
I've got a wild inclination to start buying in Stock chinagirl 66cc motors, set them for high performance and reliability, and rell them to the community for a minor profit.

A lot of people have probably done this in the past and screwed up somewhere or another.

So, submitted for the community, the following:

(1) How much would you want out of a 'massaged' replacement china 66cc motor?

(2) How much would you pay for the above?

(3) Would anyone be interested in more expensive 'Hybrid' motors with Moped top ends and stroked cranks? Puch cylinders are close to being compatible with chineese bottom ends, except for a difference in stroke, 38mm VS 43mm crankshaft stroke.

The motors I'd be offering would come with a puch high compression head, BP6HS plug, balanced /stuffed crankshaft, Walbro 668 carb, reground front sprocket, corrected/widened ports (set for mid/top end power, gear down if you need torque) and Grade 5 studs/fasteners all the way around, with extra nuts and locknuts. Basically everything I'd do to one of my own motors.

On top of that, I'm going to be experimenting with puch kits and adding reed valves, boost porting, and auxilliary intake ports to a china 66cc. If I can get acceptable performance gains from modding a stock jug, that saves me having to get Crankshafts remachined and buy in new cylinder kits.

Thoughts, comments, criticism, death threats: all welcome.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Maybe consider upgrading the crankshaft bearings, and the needle bearing in the connecting rod small end that is prone to blowing up.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm not in the market for a motor but if I was I would be interested. The price I would pay would depend on what was done to it. You have a lot of good ideas for your motors so it would depend on anything else done to it.

Terry

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
I think the needle bearing can be replaced with a moped part, but there's so much lateral slop that I'm not certain it would do much good. Thrust washers might solve the problem, but I've not had one blow up on me yet.
Crank bearings might be a Very good idea, I'll look into pricing on those guys.

I'm going to whip myself up a seriously retooled HT motor this winter and get it fully tested before I attempt seing any to anyone. I've aready got what I consider a stage 3 50cc on my current bike:
Puch Hi comp head, Dellorto knockoff on handmade intake (fugly, but compact and straight-shot) cleaned up ports with mild porting, Textured crankcase, balanced crank, cut down piston skirt, case matched transfers, and expansion chamber exhaust.
I have two puch high RPM coils lying around, problem is that they need a pickup, and I have no idea how accurate a hall effect sensor will be with our tiny little rotors.

But if I could add a high RPM coil to a 66cc build, along with a Minireli reed block, 4'th port, Boost ports, and walbro pumper carb, we might have something to write home about. And I know that reed valves have been tried in the past. Only reason I'm entertaining the notion of reed valves this time around is that I've got my hands on one of These lil suckers: minarelli V1L athena carbon reed block After some major port work, and a 3/4" spacer, the nose of the reed block actually sits Inside the intake port. This keeps crankcase volume down, for better scavenging.

The 66cc suffers worst from lack of revs, and second worst from vibration. Balance the crank and unlimit the transfers, amongst other things (Like decent hardware) and you'll have a winner.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Maybe offer different levels of builds. Say, 3 different levels with the 3rd. level being modified to the max within a 50cc limit. Build them as they are ordered so there isn't a large $$ amount setting around until someone wants it.

Terry

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i have always thought that someone would be happy to pay a premium for an engine that was pulled apart & just went over.
then change the bearings, bushings, & seals
most of anything else that typically breaks can be fixed w/o splitting the case.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
Crankcase texturizing is something I read about on the MacDizzy forums. There was some hand waving involved, but the impression I got was that it prevents areas of 'stick' that drag down on the turbulent gases in the crankcase, and gives a uniform surface to all areas of the crankcase. Some people say it improves fuel atomization, but it seems to me it's just one of those things that takes five minutes to do while the cases are split anyways.

As for different levels of build: That's up to the end customer to add whatever pipe they prefer or so forth. Same with the 'legality': It's up to the end user. I want to build top notch 'street' tuned motors for people who've grown dissatisfied with stock chinagirl performance. The motor I build this winter will be the prototype, and if I see gains I'm satisfied with in terms of performance and reliability, I'll sell that one and build another.

The other reason I'm choosing 66cc is that even my 49cc is already 'illegal' simply because of it's power output and how fast I ride (Usually fast enough to keep up with traffic). Not that I'm unconcerned with legality, more that Police have radar guns, not calipers. They're more likely to bust me for 'speeding' than for having a motor that's 17cc over the 49cc rule.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The other reason I'm choosing 66cc is that even my 49cc is already 'illegal' simply because of it's power output and how fast I ride (Usually fast enough to keep up with traffic). Not that I'm unconcerned with legality, more that Police have radar guns, not calipers. They're more likely to bust me for 'speeding' than for having a motor that's 17cc over the 49cc rule.
My comment was more in reference to a vendor having a hand in opening, inspecting and re-manufacturing a product, not to end users..
But, as you like, it's up to everyone to perform their own due diligence on liability.

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
Tohri,
if I were to purchase such an engine, what I would be wanting
would be things ground & polished up like they should be, parts
that match, gaskets that fit, studs, nuts & bolts that stay where
they're supposed to, no air or fluid leaks.
If I wanted a racing/hi performance motor, I'd be looking for
a Jap or Euro motor not a china motor that I could go to a
motorcycle dealer and get parts for..

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
I can only speak for myself and working on my bike and motor is half the fun but I think I am like most people and dont have all the big tools to do some of the stuff I d like to do so yes I would be very intested in buying a 80/66cc china 2 stroke that someone has cracked the cases and put in better bearings ect and the stage thing sounds like a great idea like stage 1 better crank bearings stage 2 bearings then maybe port and polish the intake and exhaust stage 3 bearings port head then maybe port barrel or a reed valve but the point is .and I think this is the key that I would pay for mods that I can not do at home by myself . I hope that helps also I think you could offer 2 lines 1 for a more reliadle longer lasting motot ie the bearing upgrade then line 2 proformance ya go fast real fast . wow said to much