Clutch question...

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I just got my first Grubee SkyHawk 2010 66cc kit put together last night. It went pretty well, but I find the clutch is very difficult to pull in. I am wondering if this is normal, or perhaps after I use it a bit it will loosen up? The way it is now I feel it would be almost dangerous cause it might be too hard to disengage the engine in some riding conditions. I am just about to take my first ride but wanted to post this question right away.
I have a powerful hand, nobody can every open a soda bottle after I close it (LOL) so I know that's not the problem! I am wondering if maybe I need to take off the cover and adjust the clutch (already watched that video). What do you guys think???

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
I just finished a build with the same motor etc. My clutch was hard at first, but after a few trial runs around the block it got easier to hold. If you have the clutch arm (on left leg side) set properly you only have to pull the clutch lever about half way to disengage. Hope that helps.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
They shouldn't be hard if they (manufactures) would correct the problem. All of mine were hard to pull, but I corrected it. There are a couple of mods that can be installed to take about 80% pull off the handle.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
alright, i just tried to find ways to remove friction. realized the cable was not lubed at all. pull the cable out, and put some white lithium grease on there and put cable back in probably reduced pull toughness 25 percent.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make sure you have lubricated the moving parts of the clutch actuator along with the cable. That includes the cam inside the left side cover, the pin that protrudes from the sprocket and the ball bearing behind the pin. They require a good grease, not oil.
Assure you have no sharp bends or kinks in your clutch cable and that it's not zip-tied too securely to the frame anywhere.
There are mods that can be done and some aftermarket parts but try the simple stuff first.
Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I think I have found the root of the clutch problem today. After finally getting her running decent I took a pretty good ride.... WHAT FUN! Anyhow, the end of the ride wasn't so fun!
Everything was fine and then I noticed the clutch would hardly disengage the engine, I thought first off cable slip/stretch etc. I was only a couple blocks from home so I tried to limp in on the motor (Cause engine was constantly engaged at this point for the most part). I didnt get far, she locked up bad, tire wouldn't turn, uh-oh! Noticed the chain was coming off the engine sprocket, rolling backwards got it loose. Attempting to move was a no go at this point, rear tire locked solid. I managed to get the engine side chain off and pedal home.
Once home I pulled the clutch plate, found the nut that holds the sprocket loose, the sheer pin thrashed and the sprocket bent a bit on the back. (Might be usable still, but I wouldn't use it after the bend) Luckily for me I got two kits so I have the spare sheer pin and sprocket!
I put the new sheer pin and sprocket back on the bike, tightened it down REAL GOOD, and gave her a go...
She's going good again now, and surprise, my clutch feels right FINALLY! Before I could not adjust the cable so when locked in the engine was complete disengaged and still get full grab when let out. Now I am able to get the full action of the clutch with a much shorter cable pull, everything just feels more proper. I think the reason my clutch was funky from the get-go was because that nut wasn't tight enough and not compressing the (internal) clutch spring enough.
So, if you have a funky feeling clutch, or even if you don't, CHECK THE NUT ON THE SPROCKET and make sure its really tight. I suggest you check it often, I will! You will be tempted to leave it alone, cause it's all loaded up with grease from the factory, do yourself a favor, clean that grease out and tighten down the nut! Besides, I found the factory grease in one engine to be super gritty and bad, so better put some clean quality grease in there instead. I had been warned to check the head bolts and intake for loose nuts, but don't recall the sprocket mentioned specifically, CHECK EVERY BOLT on your new engine if you want to avoid grief. If you love your bike you might want to order up a spare sprocket and a couple of sheer pins as well to have on hand in case you run into issues, this way you get right back out on the road instead of waiting for mail order parts....
Happy trails.....

Last edited: