New Grubee engine

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Does anyone here have any experience or feedback concerning the new Grubee "Go Sick'em" engine? Just judging the engine after reading the specifications on Grubee's web site, it seems that they are listening to common complaints and have made some big improvements.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
Does anyone here have any experience or feedback concerning the new Grubee "Go Sick'em" engine? Just judging the engine after reading the specifications on Grubee's web site, it seems that they are listening to common complaints and have made some big improvements.
Nationwide Access > dba: Motorized Bicycles - Bicycle Motors - Bicycle Engine Kits - Bike Motors - Bicycle Motor Parts has successfully completed EPA certification to enable importation of SkyHawk Gt2B48cc and GT5 66cc bike engines and legally sell for off road MoPed application for the years 2010 and 2011 in all states except California. First container load shipments to the USA will begin in late June 2010.
All 2010 shipments must have a different carburetor and muffler than used in years past. New requirements entail a longer palladium insert in the cat. muffler along with an air shield, a special CNS-YD carburetor and a special fuel line. 4 cost increases!
YES; cost increased substantially with the $24,000 EPA expense all amortized in.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
looks like a nice motor.. Noticed the intake and exaust ports are different sizes, current bolt on parts???? Wonder how much this motor kit will cost?
Cheers

Jun 7, 2010
on a bike
Ok I cant seem to find this motor? Could someone post a link? The link above just takes me to a site but I cant find this new motor?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Click on the Grubee link on the left of this page, 3rd one down from the top.
Click on "Total Products" link.
Click on "2 cycle bike engine kits" link.
Click on "Skyhawk brand 2 cycle" link.
You have arrived at your destination. :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
With the slightly bigger ports, we now make an awesome 3 hp right out of the box. Imagine the ramifications of that.

I see the "new" engine has larger mounts too, nice touch for some bikes.

Funny that bigger ports and a different carb won't make an engine epa compliant, but 24,000 dollars will ;) !

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Just curious I have a SBP expansion chamber, and a MM billet intake waiting for a home.. anyone know if they will fit this motor ?

cheers

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
So, what's he doing importing all the others illegally?
You have heard the old saying, 'slow boat from China' right?
I am not sure off hand what the exact date the 2010 EPA rules kicked in, but I am pretty sure anything that was FOB (Free On Board) meaning already shipped was allowed in the US.

I hope these is a glut of the 2009 Skyhawks here or still FOB.
As for why they still sell the older ones, it's a big world, only the US and Canada have to deal with the EPA.

I look forward to seeing some actual much larger pics from someone that gets a new motor.
This is pretty hard to make out.

We still don't know what the retail price will be, but last I heard from Don only gasbike.net will carry the motors as part of the new EPA cert. process has to include the distributor.

At this rate the EPA is going to price increase this already cheap and green form of transportation right out of existence.
At say $700 for the most basic build but it only costs that to make your old POS car run or buy one, why buy one, drivers licensee or not?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Woah! Are you suggesting that the price of this kit will be in the $700.00 range?

Jumping from $140.00 to $180.00 all the way to $700.00 is quite a big jump, about a 400% mark up.

I hope that you are not correct, as this kit certainly will be priced out of existence. Unless it has actually been improved to the point of lasting for thousands of trouble free miles, like a Tanaka or similar.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Woah! Are you suggesting that the price of this kit will be in the $700.00 range?

Jumping from $140.00 to $180.00 all the way to $700.00 is quite a big jump, about a 400% mark up.

I hope that you are not correct, as this kit certainly will be priced out of existence. Unless it has actually been improved to the point of lasting for thousands of trouble free miles, like a Tanaka or similar.

I think he was talking total build price of the complete Cycle.

Cheers

skuzzy

Jul 19, 2009
Australia
looks like a nice motor.. Noticed the intake and exaust ports are different sizes, current bolt on parts???? Wonder how much this motor kit will cost?
Cheers
xct2

The intake port spacing is 40mm. the older model spacing was 30mm, same for starfire gen II 58cc engines currently on the market, I'm looking for a machined alloy intake to fit the new 40mm intake port holes, nothing on the market yet, I hope it arrives soon, or perhaps manic mechanic can design one for everybody who wants this engine, coz the new design engine is here now, might as well get something made, like a nice shiny alloy performance billet intake manifold like the one he has now, but with bigger ports?? 40mm?

I'm sure it will be worth IT.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thank you KCvale, for clarifying that for me.

I wouldn't pay over 200 dollars shipped for one of these kits, unless the quality improved dramatically.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The initial price is $179.00 but as usual there's a ridiculous "normal" price and they're calling it a sale... which they've done ever since I got into this anyway lol There is also a $30 off "coupon code" gimmick, which to me says they'll prolly be back to the normal price of about $150ish as soon as the summer rush is over...

So all in all it seems we're back to business as usual despite the near-ritualistic annual EPA terror tactics - save the improvements made to the ports & the CNS (^)

The CNS is gonna be interesting tho, I like it and I defo think it's far FAR better than the NT... but we're not gonna be able to jus' say "bend the float tabs a lil & clip 2nd frm the top" anymore heh ;)