What centrifugal clutch should I by for my 79cc?

GoldenMotor.com

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Ok, my build is nearing completion and I hear my Gasbike.net AGK clone jackshaft kit' "CLUTCH" will chatter and vibrate like nobodys business. Anybody know which clutch will eliminate this and is a decent affordable clutch? I read an article that said Maxtorque clutches fixed his minibikes. Im checking with you guys. I need a 5/8 bore clutch recomendation. BTW I finally found an app that resizes my photos. Emailing didnt work. Heres my custom build. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
I could make a recomendition but you won't like the price: Make sure you read the details on this link since a lot of R & D went into this design. Hope this helps...

http://sportsmanflyer.com/shop/parts/sportsman-flyer-centrifugal-clutch-by-bully/
Thanks for the link. I do know about the Bully clutch and love it from reading. I say thanks for the link because I didnt think a 5/8 bore was available. I searched for it but all seemed to be 3/4. Now that I been referred to the link again, I see that they make a 5/8 clutch as well. That sucker IS expensive but most likely worth it. Id love to buy one and probably will someday. I just wonder what peoples reaction is going to be when I give a price to buy my build? lol. I'll just have to take the clutch off and keep it then if I sell my build. I laugh because some people seem to think good things are cheep on top of it being custom built goods. "What are they thinking" lol Thanks for the reply. Cheers. Sportsman Flyer and Bully clutches are top quality. I know whats up.

Last edited:

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Nice ride! Wish I had some advice for you but I have never messed with those clutches before.
Thanks Dave. Im just hearing they chatter bad off the start untill they get going. I dont want any extra unneeded vibrations if I can prevent it. It just makes things fall apart that wouldnt otherwise. I recently read an article, an individual and his wife had a couple mini bikes. He was having the same chatter problem as he described it. He said, max torque clutches fixed his mini bikes and they were back out having fun. Frome the articles discription, they seemed to live in the country some place where they can ride them. Thanks again Dave. Cheers.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Chatter happens when the clutch engages too early. Single speed clutching is about having a high lockup and lots of slip and the right gearing. You can reduce chatter by installing a heavier spring along with the heavy clutch shoes in the max torque clutches. Much cheaper than the bully but of course the bully is a disc clutch. See thread max torque clutch mods by greaser_monkey87

Nice ride! No front brake may be a bit dangerous

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Side note: You can fit any 3/4" clutch on 5/8" shaft, there is a bushing you can buy to fit and then you have to get 3/16 x 1/4" keyway. I got all my parts from Fastenal, but just searched on line first. That would make your 3/4" bully more useable, if you pulled it off..............Curt

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Side note: You can fit any 3/4" clutch on 5/8" shaft, there is a bushing you can buy to fit and then you have to get 3/16 x 1/4" keyway. I got all my parts from Fastenal, but just searched on line first. That would make your 3/4" bully more useable, if you pulled it off..............Curt
Thanks Curtisfox. I purchased a 5/8 Bully Clutch. I found out they are 5/8 no bushing needed.

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
I could make a recomendition but you won't like the price: Make sure you read the details on this link since a lot of R & D went into this design. Hope this helps...

http://sportsmanflyer.com/shop/parts/sportsman-flyer-centrifugal-clutch-by-bully/
I purchased the Bully from Sportsman Flyer. Im waiting for it to arrive. I have a little concern which I cant seem to find an answer for. My build is a 79cc Predator with those 1/2" thick aluminum Jackshaft plates that mounts to the side of the blocks. The clutch is a 5/8 bore. Im praying that the keyway on the bully goes back enough to where it will grab my crankshaft key groove. On my regular centrifugal clutch, the key is integrated and is "roughly centered" inside the ID of the clutch bore. After looking at Bully pictures, I only see a broachd key slot on "one side of the clutch". That being the side "witout the sprocket". And the side "without the sprocket" is the side that is going to hang off for my plate spacing. If the Keyway broaching on the Bully is only an inch or some small length like that, Im going to have a problem. That problem being this. The Jackshaft plate will have to go and Id hate to that because Id have to customize my own jackshaft. If thats what its going to have to take then thats what its going to have to take. I hope not. I cant find no measurements diagrams on this anywhere. And I have never seen a Bully clutch on a build that uses the 79cc Jackshaft Plate units that are on the market. My regular clutch shakes too much on the start. Cant have that.

Last edited:

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Chatter happens when the clutch engages too early. Single speed clutching is about having a high lockup and lots of slip and the right gearing. You can reduce chatter by installing a heavier spring along with the heavy clutch shoes in the max torque clutches. Much cheaper than the bully but of course the bully is a disc clutch. See thread max torque clutch mods by greaser_monkey87

Nice ride! No front brake may be a bit dangerous
Thanks Beginner01. I want to see how good I can make a Maxtorque work one of these days. Thanks for the information.