Brigs engine with 14 tooth gear

GoldenMotor.com

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
I have a good B&G 5 h.p. engine that came from a snowblower Runs great BUT the pto side has a 14 tooth gear that is NOT removable it seems that is is part of the actually crank. Can I use this engine for my boardtracker. I sure doesn't have the 3/4" end although it is a 3/4" shaft but IT IS part of the 14 tooth gear . HELP.

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
I'm assuming there is no clutch assembly, but you can use it if you have a stand that keeps your back wheel off of the ground.
Since there is no clutch pack in the driveline, you wil never be able to completely stop the wheel. It will always move at idle speed or faster.

This is only my opinion though, depending on your existing setup; this may not be possible for use at all.

Pics help alot...

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Clean the PTO area of the engine well. Look at the size of the bore where the PTO shaft seal sits.

If the 14t Sprocket is larger than the hole in the aluminum engine case, ask yourself how the crankshaft got installed.

Sure you can use the crank sprocket @ 14t. A Jackshaft clutch will work.

But you should deal with that sprocket before it comes loose later under power. It has to be removed anyway if you ever need to open the engine.

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
Thanks for the answers. I will have to open the engine and hope that the gear doesn't attach INSIDE or the PTO will defenitely be too short.. Never seen anything like it.?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome to the world of small engine motor bike confusion

If the gear reduction box is still on there you will want to take it off. That adds extra ruffly 3" and will make the engine stick way out to one side.
If its a seperate reduction box and has a shift lever i may be intrested in it.
All sprocket and pulleys are made to come off so the engine can be serviced,eather healed on by set screw or blot. If it is just a sproket and is close to the engine it will work. To do a clutch on the jack shaft you need to to put a sprocket on the shaf and turn it and the clutch shoes and not the drum. the clutch gearing has to be close to engine speed as they work on RPM's for shoe ingagement ...............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
NONE. what i did on a water pump motor was had a keyway cut right over the threads if its the same size 3/4" it should still work..............Curt

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Post the model, type & code information for the engine, and I will look up the crankshaft for it.

The info appears on the tag or may be stamped in to the blower housing. The words MODEL TYPE CODE will have blocks of numbers under them.

You keep saying "Gear" - is this a chain sprocket or a gear?

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Pictures would really help. I am not an expert, but I have messed around with a few 5hp briggs, and from what I have seen, the engine side cover must come off buy sliding the cover over the crank shaft pto.

After the side cover is off, then you can remove the crankshaft. Again, from what I have taken apart and seen for myself, I just don't see how the side cover could get onto the crankshaft and then the block, with a gear or sprocket mounted on the pto.

Here is an exploded diagram of the Briggs engine I know. In order to get to the piston, camshaft, crankshaft, etc., you must first take of the engine side cover. Sorry the image is kind of small.

Hope that helped,

Gilbert

Attachments

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/contact

For contact at Briggs I got help a few times. Some contact there is not technical help but part numbers or like specification information I'd request.

A few times I got some technical help.

You know at some point that is there business so for free, a limited amount of time to help you can be done, but limited.

It was for me, like you, not real trouble shooting, but how something works, is taken apart and reassembled.

Not that this pdf file I found would be of help in this matter as I have looked it over and have not seen an answer for your question, but it has a lot of good Briggs stuff on fixing.

See pdf:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/mur...20Handbook.pdf

note this pdf is just a picture in pdf so it cannot be used to find a match in document search, but good none the less

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was looking at an old cast iron Briggs 6S that I have that has a gear on the end. I see a groove around the end of the shaft where a cer-clip was once. I probably removed it and though the gear would come off.

A lot of penetrating fluid and a flywheel puller I tried with no luck as I remember.

I also noticed some plastic cone shape thing with a spring inside between the crankcase cover and the gear at the end of the crankshaft. Not sure what it is for and did not see it in the files I have for the Briggs. Maybe you or some one else has seen them too.

I will check on Old Engines and Smokestack to see if they know.

Sometimes a lot a Liquid Wrench, some say diesel, or what ever and letting it be dripped over it and recycled again an again or be submerged in it is what is necessary.

Old rusted in valves I had to do just that.

MT

Last edited: