first build schwinn/dax

GoldenMotor.com

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Thanks to the comprehensive information on this website my first build is coming along nicely.
I took it for its inaugural flight this afternoon. The motor fired right up after about ten feet of pedaling down my driveway. Got the idle to hold, ran it for a minute untill warm then took it around the block. This is the new Dax balanced motor, ive never ridden any other motorized bicycle for referrence, but it seems smooth and has more torque than i expected!

Just a quick pic, I'll put together a set of build pics when I get a chance.

Im running 70:1 opti2 as my first and only oil for this motor (1.8 oz/1.0 us gallon). Went thru and rechecked the torque on all my fasteners, about to locktite blue quite a few of them.

I plan on going with a smaller rc aircraft fuel tank on the rear rack once I get it sorted out, in an effort to keep a clean simple look.

Please post any reccomendations, suggestions, criticism, and insults as you see fit. I am a mechanic (see 400hp neon in background) but I'm a newb to this hobby.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nice looking build.

I would tell you to reinforce the fenders. But I can see that that won't be necessary.

Maybe I'll have to consider a Dax balanced crank motor. A bit less vibration wouldn't hurt my feelings.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I expected to see a friction drivetrain since you had DAX in the thread title. Sharp looking cruiser.

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Oops, i don't know all the nomenclature and abbreviations yet.
I meant a ThatsDax balanced 66 from his last batch of happy time kits.

Yes i was made aware of the catatriphic fender failure the point beach is prone to, as well as the lack of any grease in the bearings. I think they lubed the wheels with a dab of ear-wax. The crank was almost dry.
So i stripped down the whole bike, greased and reassembled.

I plan on refitting fenders and chaingaurds, and the rear tank. there is some cheap hardware on it, will replace levers, seat and these wonky wheels/tires for some heavy duty ones down the road.

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
I'm very glad to hear that your build went smoothly as my DelMar is getting similar treatment with a Dax kit, and while I've heard nothing but good things about a Dax engine, I'm still s sooper-noob at this motorized bicycle thing, so I'll take it as encouragement when tackling my own project. My kit should be here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a similar report this week :D

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Love the style of your build. I kind of have the same look going on with mine. I have heard a lot about the Dax motor. Maybe once mine burns I will check into it. Congrats on the build very cool.

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Yessir.

2005 srt-4 with a td05hr turbo, all the supporting modifications for running 27 psi of boost including a big intercooler, ported head/turbo/manifold, upgraded fuel system, heavy duty clutch, and i tune it via the SCT pro racer package.
It does a low 12 second 1/4 mile on crappy street tires. And it regularly Embarrasses c6 vettes, supras, and most of the v8 swapped Rx7s and 240s around here.

But back to the bike.
I think I need to replace this spark plug, and look into getting a decent carb in an attempt to eliminate the 4 cycling in the low-mid range. This carb has no adjustment except an idle screw. No needle adjustment either.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Yessir.

2005 srt-4 with a td05hr turbo, all the supporting modifications for running 27 psi of boost including a big intercooler, ported head/turbo/manifold, upgraded fuel system, heavy duty clutch, and i tune it via the SCT pro racer package.
It does a low 12 second 1/4 mile on crappy street tires. And it regularly Embarrasses c6 vettes, supras, and most of the v8 swapped Rx7s and 240s around here.

But back to the bike.
I think I need to replace this spark plug, and look into getting a decent carb in an attempt to eliminate the 4 cycling in the low-mid range. This carb has no adjustment except an idle screw. No needle adjustment either.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.
Those little SRT4s are dirty. My buddy has an 07 Caliber SRT4 with only a light tuner and turbo back, that thing is nasty.

As for the bike, junk the stock plug and plug wire. Get an auto wire and an NGK plug. B6HS, B7HS, BP6HS, or BP7HS. If you're feeling extra itchy, get a BPR7HIX like me. :D
As for the carb, Dax also sells the RT carb, which is a Delorto clone. That's what I'm going to be getting when I get around to it. lol

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Update.

After about six rides of less than five miles the tank sprung a leak. Not suprised.
So i dug this old thing outta the garage.

Ithe tank seems its leak free. Took it for a couple rides today, and I can definitely tell the motor is starting to loosen up. At this point the bike needs no more speed until the brakes are addressed.

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
It was a sad day on Sunday, I had to put down Happy Time Harry. :(

The aluminum frame started to come apart where the rear downtubes are welded to the main upper horizontal tube under the seat. He had about 600/700 miles on him, mostly happily commuting me to work. Motor is running great, its a Dax balanced HappyTime.

So,...

Rip, Harry,
You were my first build, I will never forget the fun we had.

But I am on to the next build, a proper steel framed MTB,

It is a Giant Yukon, seems to be an early 90s one.
See ya in the mountainbike section brnot

Last edited: