spark problem

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Just wondering if I turn the magneto side nut with a ratchet,and the plug in the plug wire and close to metal should I see spark?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you may not be able to turn it fast enough to see a spark, but if you hold the plug in your hand with your hand touching a good ground, you should feel a tingle as the engine comes around

better would be to get the back wheel an inch or so in the air with a jack stand or a rope tied overhead so you can swing the pedals quickly

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Thanks I thought I couldn't turn it over fast enough like that.I also have the clutch big and little gear off so I can't turn it over any other way right now.I have a bike that needed the big gear clutch assembly so I robbed it from it.I'm waiting for a new one to come in.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Also, the spark plug should be grounded. While holding the plug boot, touch the the threads on the spark plug to the cylinder head. Then crank the pedal hard with your other hand. It might also help to turn down the lights in your shop first.

** Just saw your most recent post. You might still be able to turn it fast enough with a ratchet.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I was wanting to see if I needed any other parts like a magneto or cdi before I order the clutch assembly to gets shipping cheaper.