cdi problems Www

GoldenMotor.com

Motopsycho

May 11, 2012
San Diego
I built my motor bike back in june of last year, and have worked all the kinks in the system out yet for some reason have had 3 cdi's go out on me in the last month wtf...:-||

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
i'd replace the flywheel,the mag and cdi all at once.its probably less than the price of three more cdi's.
What does the flywheel have to do with the electronics? The flywheel is part of the clutch. I'd replace the coil and CDI together since you have gone through 3 CDI's...and make sure you wired it correctly, and I wouldn't use the bike frame as a ground.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's possible for the CDI to burn out if the spark plug boot or wire is bad! Carefully replace the wire & boot.

I know that MSD boxes will burn out if you pull the main coil wire & try to start the car... One our friends played a joke on another friend by doing that so his car wouldn't start, & ended up buying him a new MSD box because it burned out! :rolleyes:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
isnt the flywheel the part with the magnet? thats what i thought it was.and arent they ususally mounted to the crankshaft?
the clutch is on a secondary shaft.
i guess i should have referred to the parts manual for the correct term.
sorry for the misunderstanding.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
isnt the flywheel the part with the magnet? thats what i thought it was.and arent they ususally mounted to the crankshaft?
the clutch is on a secondary shaft.
i guess i should have referred to the parts manual for the correct term.
sorry for the misunderstanding.
Referring to the magnet on these China girls, the parts name (from vendors) for it is the magneto magnet. Or magnet works just fine. This will help others when referring to HT parts.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/2str...-c-4_8.html?osCsid=ges5a73qhdeuvshi19srjuq544

Last edited:

Motopsycho

May 11, 2012
San Diego
After a bit of examination I found that I have gone thru two cdis ine was cause some a hole at work thought it was funny tu unplug the wire, not unlike the msd. One cdi ..... No explanation. And now it was the second., magneto first due to moisture, which in response ihad already sealed mag cmpartnent better at gasket and wire exit point this time the mag failed where rhe winding grounds to mag body and it only had a single wire making contact the replacement mag has two wires making cintact but they are tight so I am going to try and reheat the solder and relieve the tensiin so when hot itll be less likely in theory to break thanks for input guys zpt