Engine only stays one when pedaling!

GoldenMotor.com

julian21

Oct 2, 2011
TX
Hello,

This is my first time adding a 2 stroke 66cc engine to a bike. I bought the kit and installed it.

The problem is it will only start when I pedal and then release the clutch, but when I add throttle nothing happens, just the sound of engine changes, and if i stop pedaling the engine dies. I have checked the carb and it look fine. Not sure exactly whats the problem.

Please HELP!

Thanks!

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Check the connection from the engine to the CDI and to the spark plug. I had some problems with it before I soldered the wires together and taped them.

Also, often the carbs come with the main jet loose or completely unscrewed. Take off the float bowl and make sure the jet is screwed in.

And in case it wasn't included in your instructions, try putting the choke lever up at least halfway when starting up.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Hello,

This is my first time adding a 2 stroke 66cc engine to a bike. I bought the kit and installed it.

The problem is it will only start when I pedal and then release the clutch, but when I add throttle nothing happens, just the sound of engine changes, and if i stop pedaling the engine dies. I have checked the carb and it look fine. Not sure exactly whats the problem.

Please HELP!

Thanks!
Sounds to me like the motor is never really running, just turning over as you pedal and pop the clutch. If she fires you should feel her pull you, not drag you....
Since you gave almost zero info about what you got going on here I can't really help you much. Post what CARB you have in particular and maybe we can help you.
There's a wide variety of things that can cause a motor not to run, no fuel delivery, no spark, flooding etc, all very different problems with the same result, no fire. Look at your spark plug, is it wet, dry like new, soaked, burned etc to answer some questions about fuel delivery etc.
Make sure your carb is seated all the way down on the intake, intake and exhaust are tight on the head, keep in mind it is the suction from the moving piston that draws the fuel into the combustion chamber, if there are air leaks the carb doesn't work right.
If you didnt clean out the gas tank before you installed it your fuel filter is likely clogged...
Take a look at the plug and get back to us here for more help.....

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur with nightcruiser on many issues...
Also, make sure the choke lever on the side of the carb is pointed down. (The engine will never start if the lever is pointed all the way up.)