New RAW sounds and runs excellent but what is that noise?

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
New RAW sounds and runs excellent but what is that noise?

Okay, my range of experience is 725 miles on a HT. The rings and possibly more failed but that was a lesson learned and I wouldn't take back one mile run. But, now on to the replacement motor.

I ordered two RAWs from Helio and I am pleased but it seems the clutch or possibly bearings are noisy. I don't know what to think.

The motor sounds excellent. Better than the first engine for sure.

I now have 30 miles on the new engine and have decided, under local advice, to wear things in a bit and see.

I lightly greased the clutch gears with little effect on the sound I hear. It lessons with the clutch pulled in. It's a hard spring and I have adjusted the cable twice due to it stretching today. I'm happy with the clutch so far.

Is this just the noise the motor is making and normal or is my suspicion that the clutch is noisy the warning of a failure to come?

Mind-ya I'm generally happy with this motor but if I can reduce that noise it would be better. Tell me it's real bearings (203) and needle that are making noise and as they wear in they will quieten down.
Your input on this if you don't mind.

It's that noise that is interfering with me enjoying the sound of this better than last engine.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Some have more of what I call "the RC car sound" than others. I think it has to do with how the crank and flywheel gears mesh.
There's definitely no precision fit there! All you can really do is keep the gears lubed and keep riding!

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
That sounds reasonable. I hope things wear in well.

The motor runs better than the first that is for sure.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Did you grease the clutch actuator side as well? This side is predominately known to make a squealing noise when dry tho. The said gears on the right hand side will wear in and get quieter over time too.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I agree with everything that's been said - keep things lubed well, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly, and just let it break in a bit. Wouldn't hurt to make a vid in case it's a sound we haven't heard before.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Did you grease the clutch actuator side as well? This side is predominately known to make a squealing noise when dry tho. The said gears on the right hand side will wear in and get quieter over time too.
Yes I greased the actuator arm.

I'm hoping it will mellow out.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I agree with everything that's been said - keep things lubed well, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly, and just let it break in a bit. Wouldn't hurt to make a vid in case it's a sound we haven't heard before.
I have to make a vid on the lights so I can record the engine.

This engine seems solid enough.