differnce in motors...

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am not all that mechanically smart so trust me this is not one of those bait the old guys threads. If it is too controversial you can remove it.

So tell me why is it that small 2stroke engines have so much carburetor, spark plug, and ignition problems.

Are four strokes more dependable.

My thinking is oil mixed with gas goes through those carbs is that part of the problem. I know a two stroke burns "dirtier" is that part of the ignition problems.

I am just basing this on my experience with weed eaters over the years and lawn mowers. One is two cycle one is four and the life expectancy of each is significantly different.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
So tell me why is it that small 2stroke engines have so much carburetor, spark plug, and ignition problems.
I don't have the problems you mentioned. But these are Chinese $150.00 JUNK engines, what do you expect. NO, NONE whatsoever quality control involved. My installs are NOT modified for speed, but are are modified for longevity out of the box.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
A 4 stroke is an inherently better design. You get full power from the power stroke, not open the exhaust port halfway down and blow the hi pressure gas out. You don't blow fresh mixture out the exhaust port either. They are more efficient and cleaner.

Two strokes are lighter and make the most power per size & weight, that is their only advantage.